Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I go over a small abrupt bump the rear of the vehicle makes a loud thumping sound. I've read other posts regarding noisy bushings, but my problem doesn't fit the description. My bushings don't sqeak. My van is the 159 wb 2500. Is it because it's a heavy duty suspension and my van is essentially unloaded? (400 lb campervan conversion.) I have adjusted the rear cargo doors numerous times with zero results.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you have a hitch and receiver on it? On my last van I had an adjustable hitch that was a bit sloppy in the 2" receiver, that made a noise similar to what you're describing.

Could be a a loose or broken rear spring, broken or loose shock or even the spare tire. Do you have anyone that can drive the van while you ride in the back? That may help isolate the noise, but in a big metal box sometimes that's a bit difficult.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I second the second post :) Get underneath and push the spare tire at a few different spots to see if it makes noise. Mine does that. Once I figured out what was making the noise, it stopped bothering me.

It seems also that if the spare tire is low on pressure, it will make more noise ...

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check the spare tire... It sounds like something big is thumping around. I have a rear tow bar but I don't have a hitch in it so that's not the culprit. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts