Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going with the 1byone Ominidirectional antenna.
Here's my plan on mounting.
Purchase this-
http://www.vantech.us/Promaster-Adaptor-with-hardware-Top-and-Bottom-H45-46.htm?categoryId=-1
and purchasing this-
http://www.vantech.us/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=m08
Cutting off the horizontal portion leaving a straight tower that I can affix the 1byone antenna to.
Thoughts?

In our build we've yet to do the 'crown molding' and that is a plus for the antenna run from the rear of the vehicle to behind
the driver's seat where the tech stuff resides.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Going with the 1byone Ominidirectional antenna.
Here's my plan on mounting.
Purchase this-
http://www.vantech.us/Promaster-Adaptor-with-hardware-Top-and-Bottom-H45-46.htm?categoryId=-1
and purchasing this-
http://www.vantech.us/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=m08
Cutting off the horizontal portion leaving a straight tower that I can affix the 1byone antenna to.
Thoughts?

In our build we've yet to do the 'crown molding' and that is a plus for the antenna run from the rear of the vehicle to behind
the driver's seat where the tech stuff resides.
Hi MedMan,

Not sure what type of antenna you will be mounting--guess I should Google 1byone. We went with the Mohu-Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna, and it works great. Once we are parked I just hang it in front of the passenger window, turn on the TV and search for channels. I always get a good selection usually around 20 channels, depending on where we are. The 50 stands for 50 miles.

See link below;

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mohu-le...v-antenna-black-white/3488006.p?skuId=3488006

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
MM & MM,

You may find that the horizontal piece of the Vantech part matches up with the bolts on the 1byOne base. Then you could use the holes in the base to bolt to the vantech horizontal plate. That would eliminate the pipe part of the mount and make it a bit more low-profile. It looks like the 1by1 has a swivel that will let the base be vertical with a pipe or horizontal. If you look at the pictures, you could probably eliminate the L shaped plastic piece and attach the antenna to the horizontally mounted base directly.

I've heard good things about the stick-it-to-the-window antennas too... keep saying I have to try one!

So far, I have used a 144/440 magnetic mount ham radio antenna and just stuck it on the roof or side panel above the window behind the passenger door. It gives me lots of stations to choose from. It's about 16" long. For TV, the antenna should be horizontally polarized (so that the the antenna is parallel to the roof, not sticking up).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Can the amplifier on these antennas be powered by USB? Or do they have to be plugged into 110 AC?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ProEddie,Melike thank you both.

I get to decide over the next month or two, still I'm leaning toward spaceship
looking omnidirectional and because (maybe wrong) I think I can leave it in
position on the roof for long periods of time.

In one review of many at Amazon one owner of the spaceship model actually got
more channels without the amplifier, so it pays to occasionally turn it off.

I've also thought of buying one Vantech bar/tower/horizontal mounting piece and run
it from one back nubbin to the other back nubbing and placing the spaceship AND the
Weeboost on that bar and have both coxaials from the TV antenna and the cell booster
enter our back up camera housing.

Melmike good on you for getting good reception with the inside model and ProEddie thanks
for pointing out how to get a low profile on the spaceship.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
The best ground plane you have is the steel roof of the van. I haven't seen the mount on a weeboost but if it uses a small hole, it might be worth a hole directly in the roof. I've done it on many of my previous vehicles for ham radio antennas, which also need a good ground plane (aka a flat metal surface for the radio signals to bounce off)

How about that... weboost is made by Wilson. I bought my first ham radio from Wilson, back in 1975!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will eventually add two antennas.
One for the TV, the 1byone omnidirectional model that looks like a little spaceship.
And the second for the Weboost...the Weebost is the one that requires a grounding plane.
I'd like to put each on a single roof rack, roof rack running across the rear most nubbins and
one antenna at the distill ends of this single rack. Wires running on the rack toward the middle
then departing the rack and entering the rear camera housing.

So I'd have to add a grounding plane for the Weebost antenna on the roof rack. No problem. 6"x6"
square piece of aluminum with a bolt though the middle and through the roof rack should do it with
antenna mounted directly above if not to the bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts