Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am pretty close to making a move on a 2014 1500 with 45000 miles on it. My friend is selling it and as far as I can tell there aren't any major issues with it and we are good enough friends that I trust he wouldn't try to pull one over on me. He's already done a bit of a build out in it. The price is right. He sent me the service records and everything looks good.

My question is this. Any other folks with this model year out there and have you been happy with it? Any glaring red flags I should know about with this model and year? Thoughts on the 1500 gearing in the mountains vs the 2500?

He needs to sell it relatively quickly and is cutting me what seems to be a very good deal on the price. That being said, even a good deal on a vehicle could be a good deal on a total turd. Educate me on what you already know, please!

John

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I don’t think there is any gearing differences between them. Perhaps the diesel & gas do tho.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The 1500 and 2500 are exactly the same vehicle except for the slightly different number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt and informative replies! I've been scouring the forum and the internet for awhile now trying to educate myself and compare with other options. Most of what I've seen as cons has to do with the transmission. There will be no warranty so it's a tad concerning. Thoughts? Side note it is the gas fueled 6 cylinder.

Also the other point of contention I am struggling with is selling my truck and giving up 4x4. Have y'all been mostly successful in the snow/ inclement weather and what not with your 1500's? Thanks in advance for any information that follows!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Buy 4 good winter tires, Cooper Weathermaster, Nokan Hakkipiletia, Bridgestone Blizzak few others work as well.

Reactions: keeponvaning

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2014 that is a 1500 with 90K miles on it.

It has been pretty reliable -- only problems have been:
  • Squeaky brakes (which can be fixed with new pads now)
  • Oil pressure sensor went out
The oil pressure sensor is only a $30 part, but hard to get to, so, I think it cost something like $300.
But, that's not much for 90K miles.
We did have some recalls, but I'd guess they are already taken care of, or the dealer can still take care of any outstanding ones at zero cost to you.

With good snow tires, the FWD does well on snow -- we have 6 months of snow here, and its fine.
With the original tires that came with it, its pretty marginal on snow.

The 1500 is fine for converting to camper van -- my conversion all up for a trip comes in at 6700 lbs and the GVW something like 8200 lbs.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on. Thanks everyone. Based on what I've been able to find out and my budget and what not, I think I am going to pull the trigger on this bad boy. I'll be sure to keep using this forum as a resource in the future.

John

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
129,000 on our 2014 1500. It was one of the earliest builds, so some early recalls that should be irrelevant to you. Worst problems so far the oil pressure sensor then the oil cooler.

It loves the mountains so we indulge its whims and take it there as often as we can.

Make sure you get the transmission oil change every 60,000 miles. They don’t advertise that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've had my '14 almost 5 years. Only 38k miles as I am a broke old disabled Vet. But it had done 4 1800 mile round trips to FL. Last one pulling a enclosed trailer. Terrific van for long hauls IMO. Numerous camping trips to the mountains too. Love it for that. Mine had the squeaky brakes. I never had that fixed as I didn't trust the dealer to do it AND maintain the great stopping power the factory brakes had. They don't squeak any more. It cleared up in time. Weepy radiator, replaced under warranty. Oil pressure sensor again replaced under warranty. My second windshield recently got hit by another rock. It may need replaced come Fall for inspection. Had has the servo motors that work the blend doors for temp and ventilation fail. Out of warranty. About $300 to fix at the dealer this past Fall. Still working fine now. Overall, I am quite happy with it. It still drives like a new van.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts