Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has a black 118 on the lot.

What are folks thoughts on this size?

Just personal use, carry bikes, tools and lumber occasionally, you know, pickup sort of stuff but secure.

Also, how important are heated mirrors? I'm in SW Ontario and we get weather, don't know why dealers keep bringing these vans in without heated mirrors.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Heated mirrors must be great. I have owned dozens of vehicles and none have had it. I own a scraper and use it carefully to not damage the mirror. I am not in the snow/ice country in winters now and see little reason for them here in the SW.
Can an 8 ft piece of plywood or lumber fit int he back with the door closed? If so you should get along fine. Many pickups have 6 or 6.5 foot beds and people manage. Put a rack on if you often carry longer lumber.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I "think" the heated mirror option is how we get the knob to adjust the mirror from inside the cab.

Be careful, there are vans on lots with 100% manual mirrors.

Anyway, I live in the south and I still use heated mirror to clear morning dew. I think its very important option.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I "think" the heated mirror option is how we get the knob to adjust the mirror from inside the cab.
And not having these knob to adjust the mirrors is very annoying, specially when 2 drivers of different sizes use the same vehicle. Mine doesn't have them and we find it very annoying.

Other than that, I never had heated mirrors and I lived so far without them. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Local dealer has a black 118 on the lot.

What are folks thoughts on this size?

Just personal use, carry bikes, tools and lumber occasionally, you know, pickup sort of stuff but secure.

Also, how important are heated mirrors? I'm in SW Ontario and we get weather, don't know why dealers keep bringing these vans in without heated mirrors.
If you can get a really, really, great deal then consider it. My thoughts are that for not a whole lot more money, you can get the 136" wheelbase and have 18" more horizontal floor space. Heated/power mirrors? Depends on where you live for $225.00 as an option (at least here in the U.S.) I would purchase.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've seen them side by side on the lot. I really wanted to like the 118 since I only need it for handicap transport and occasional lumber hauling. The smaller turning radius and length is certainly a plus for parking. But, the 136 just looks better and is actually shorter than an E-Series I drive now. Also afraid of potentially limited availability of aftermarket side glass or sliding door parts down the road.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a 118". Love it.

Was considering another Toyota Tacoma crew-cab but had always wanted a van. Rear wheel drive has always kept vans off the option list. The PM changed that.

As you mentioned, a vans space is more secure and usable to me. Yeh, I can't have a load of dirt dumped in it for the yard, but wouldn't do that with a pickup either as I always have a cap on them. Go kayaking or hiking or skiing and always have a changing room available. no climbing into the bed of a pickup to drag things out. Space for the spouse and dog to spread out.

The 118 holds plywood easily between the wheel wells and will hold a lot of it...

For pax use its easy to pickup a second row seat and install it if you chose to. Plenty of info available on here about that.

The 118 drives and parks easy too. I thought about a 136 but am happy I didn't get one. The wife is more comfortable in this and that 18" can be a disadvantage if you're using it as a daily driver.

The only thing I gave up over a Tacoma is 4-wheel drive...

·
Registered
654 Posts
fwiw, the 118 is a very smart design. The load bed is 105", which will let you fit std. drywall and plywood sheets in the back. Great for urban construction and delivery (I have a friend who swore by Chrysler minivans for this purpose).

If you need to stack 10 foot sheets in the back, then you need a 136" wb.
If you need to stack 12 foot sheets in the back, then you need a 159" wb.

I don't think you can get to a clear differentiation between wheelbase options.

The only way a 118 could be better is with stow and go seating, an option in Europe but not here. Of course, every PM should have rear seating as an option.

Dimensions here:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14505

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's a tricky question. You might think about it in reverse: what else can I get for 28k?

The only thing really comparable is a pickup truck. Another option might be an Econoline because I imagine Ford dealers are blowing them off the lots for dirt cheap. 28k doesn't get you much truck these days.

I'm rather enamored of the PM City, and I've always liked the Transit Connect. The first gen is my choice but the newer one is ok too.

To add something concrete; a low roof, SWB PM will get slightly better mileage than the big boy. It also has a different final drive ratio for even better mileage. The turning circle will also be better, but it's totally fine in the LWB anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

Well I found a DEEPLY discount 136LR, works out to about $6000 cheaper than the 118! Only ting is it's white and doesn't have glass in the sliding door.

Does have the power/folding supposedly heated mirrors though.

Now I have to decide if I want to sell my hugely fun Subaru WRX and move into a van!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you ever going to put a partition in between the seats and the cargo space? If so, you will lose a fair amount of that precious bed space. I have the 136 and once I put the partition in, I now have just under 9' from rear doors to partition. Just a thought since you're talking about lumber, plywood, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a black Dodge b van now and I would not buy black again ,to darn HOT but very great looking.I have ordered a bright red PM and just waiting

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Well I found a DEEPLY discount 136LR, works out to about $6000 cheaper than the 118! Only ting is it's white and doesn't have glass in the sliding door.

Does have the power/folding supposedly heated mirrors though.

Now I have to decide if I want to sell my hugely fun Subaru WRX and move into a van!
LOL

My other "cage" is more or less a go-kart and it takes some adjustment to get used to turning the steering wheel about twice as much. Had a few moments of turning the steering wheel what ought to be the right amount ... oh crap, we're still going almost straight, better crank it some more!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a 118' WB van this week. I have owned 2-136 WB PM's before this 118''. I purchased the van becasue I couldnt say no to a brand new PM for $22K... Since I have had 2-136'' vans, I figured it would be fun to mess with the layout on a 118.

- This thing turns TIGHT. Super noticeable. I truly believe that this van turns as tight as any compact car out there. In a neighborhood street I can U turn easily from being parallel parked on the other side. Its crazy.
- My 118 seems to have more peep to it. Its like driving a litle go cart. However I will say that for some reason out of the gate, it is getting really bad gas mileage. I drove it from Kansas back to Denver area and yes there was a nasty sidw wind but it got 11-12 MPG going around 78 mph on cruise.... Not sure why this is but hoping this changes with the break-in period...

- The space seems like it will suit my needs. With the new camper build out I will be doing (with pop top) it will just encroach on the living space. On my 136 i had the front of the bench seat installed to be even with the back of the slide door opening. I will probably just mount the back of the seat with the back of the slide door opening this time. Then everything else should be the same. I am stoked for it. I will keep you guys in the loop!

Stephen

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think the 118 is cool; it's the biggest, little, little, biggest van ever...
Amen to that!!

And Charlie thinks so too! (although he thinks it's even cooler now with windows. This is an old photo...)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts