Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a hitch on my PMC, and step 2 of the Curt instructions states:

"Remove (2) fasteners located at the top of the bumper cover hidden behind the wheel well with a T27 socket."

I can't find these fasteners. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
810 Posts
Open the rear doors and there they are. On a 90° from the level bumber cover. Good luck. And document your project, as i have to do this soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense, but that wasn't very helpful. But I just found them. The wheel well needs to be pulled out from underneath the bumper cover to reveal them. I'll take pictures and post when done.

Steve

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
JB on my laptop screen Promaster posts are a gray shade and the City posts are white.
My apologies. !!! I misread the forum section. I looked at my Promaster.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install went fairly well, no problems. Another reviewer on Amazon mentioned that the hitch covers up the center bolt on the underside. Having read that, and noticing that the cover 'notches into' that bolt, I unscrewed it a bit and left it in. When the cover went back on, the notch on the cover just slid into the gap. I doubt it will stay tight, but there might not be any room for it to fall out anyway. It is not a vital part of holding the bumper on, so no biggy.

One has to pull the wheel well plastic forward and out from under the cover to reveal the hidden bolt on each side. Attached is a picture showing where it is when the bumper is off.

I did not install a harness, as I do not plan on towing anything. I just use a cargo basked of sorts for additional room (firewood, the odd kite buggy, etc). But I can see where the harness would come out through the inside of the bumper support, and through the hatch in the cover.

Contact me if you have any questions. Cheers
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tough to get to, easy to get out

I just installed the towing wiring harness last week (when I asked to have a tow hitch installed when I bought my pre-owned 2016 PM the idiot dealer said service department didn't have a wiring harness and vehicle didn't have to have it....thought best to do work myself since they seemed pretty clueless). 0:)

I know exactly what screws your are talking about. You have to pull the bumper away from the wheel well backing until you can get your hand and a screw driver in between the two. The screws aren't that tight, but it is tough getting your hand in to remove them. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious as to where the wiring harness plugs into.

Background: I removed the interior plastic covers that are above the wheel wells to install insulation and sound stuff. Above the right side rear well, in the wall, looked like a female plug coming off (what appeared to be) the brake light wires. If so, it would be an easy to add the harness. The right side cover was easy to remove (much easier than the left side cover above the rear wheel, it was a &%$#).

I will take a picture of the inside of both walls and add to this post/thread.

Steve

·
Registered
2017 PMC wagon in CO
16 Posts
Install went fairly well, no problems. Another reviewer on Amazon mentioned that the hitch covers up the center bolt on the underside. Having read that, and noticing that the cover 'notches into' that bolt, I unscrewed it a bit and left it in. When the cover went back on, the notch on the cover just slid into the gap. I doubt it will stay tight, but there might not be any room for it to fall out anyway. It is not a vital part of holding the bumper on, so no biggy.

One has to pull the wheel well plastic forward and out from under the cover to reveal the hidden bolt on each side. Attached is a picture showing where it is when the bumper is off.

I did not install a harness, as I do not plan on towing anything. I just use a cargo basked of sorts for additional room (firewood, the odd kite buggy, etc). But I can see where the harness would come out through the inside of the bumper support, and through the hatch in the cover.

Contact me if you have any questions. Cheers
Steve
thanks so much for that extra description and picture of the hidden bolts.

I also found this video useful. It is for a different hitch, but has useful details on the PMC - especially getting the taillights removed to get those last two torx.

thanks
-Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts