Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed whether they have a third brake light up in the clearance light cluster on their roof? I was checking my lights and noticed that I only had the two regular brake lights on the back corners light up, no third light on top. I thought they were mandatory in all of the new vehicles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't have the third brake light either. It was mandatory for 1994 and later light trucks. Guess the Promaster is not considered a light truck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I believe they do not. The high-mounted center brake-light is only a requirement for cars (not light trucks), so that's how they get away with it. It's disappointing, though, since almost all of the competitive vans have one.

Maybe the five clearance lights (which are apparently a requirement, due to vehicle width) preclude RAM from providing one.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,379 Posts
I was reading the IRS tax code and came across this, well I thought it was the tax code. Did you know that USA vehicles can't have European headlights until congress changes the law.
S6.1.1.2 High-mounted stop lamps. Each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus required by this standard to be equipped with a high-mounted stop lamp, whose vertical centerline, when the vehicle is viewed from the rear, is not located on a fixed body panel but separates one or two moveable body sections, such as doors, which lacks sufficient space to install a single high-mounted stop lamp on the centerline above such body sections, must have two high-mounted stop lamps identical in size and shape.
From this source:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=e1b2634b38adb691b6d1ae805751b32a&ty=HTML&h=L&r=SECTION&n=49y6.1.2.3.38.2.7.8

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great find, KilWerBzz!

Reading "Table I-a—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices," it says that high-mount brake lights are required for "All Passenger Cars, and on Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles (MPV), Trucks, and Buses, Less Than 2032 MM in Overall Width and With a GVWR of 10,000 Lbs or Less."

So, I was mistaken in stating that they are only required for cars.

The obvious conclusion here is that the ProMaster is greater than 2032mm (80.0 inches) in overall width (and perhaps its competitors are not?).

I'm still disappointed that RAM didn't choose to provide one, even if it's not required. If RAM wants us to believe that the ProMaster is not just a tweaked Ducato, and was extensively rethought for the North American market, that would have been one way to add an obviously distinguishing feature.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't think the guy tailgating us will be able to see the high mounted brake light. I was thinking myself, about getting some kind of lettering for the rear doors that says

"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, I CAN'T SEE YOU, SO BACK OFF"

·
Registered
654 Posts
The new generation euro FIAT Ducatos have the 3rd rear brake light:

I do think it has to do with the 80+ width, as euro Ducatos don't have the indicator lights - yet have the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ordered some LED lights and a flasher module from superbright LED's and mounted them on my rear doors. When i hit the brakes, they flash 3 times real fast, 3 times slow, and then go solid. I also put a red reflective tape across the bottom of the doors.Same type that is used on trailers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what i cant just buy a lens and bulb what a ripoff

Whata crock i cant just order a lense and bulb they went to give us the shaft for the whole assembly:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts