Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have been going to AZ since '73.
I know some really nice folks from South Dakota, they sang Texas praises. But they preferred Yuma.
Preparing to stay put for the winter in Maine.
Anyone else thinking of Texas, or Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
had reservations in arizona with good monthly rate....cancelled a couple months ago.... just too much for me
....would of been my 1st winter trip to west

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Most years I'm Florida bound just after the holidays (Leaving snowy Michigan), but this year might be a little different. I'm currently in the market for very specific small boat to start towing along on my adventures. If I can't find one locally, this Winter's trip may be my first trip across the Mississippi in the Promaster in search of said vessel.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have lived in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi. 35° and raining is a lot colder than 10° and sunshine.
Please explain, not the thermodynamics, your locality preferences.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@RobPromaster, Please refrain from posting any political talk or statement. I already have to delete two of your other posts and edit this one. Just keep it about Promaster and you are free do whatever you want. thanks ;)
Uvan, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Most years I'm Florida bound just after the holidays (Leaving snowy Michigan), but this year might be a little different. I'm currently in the market for very specific small boat to start towing along on my adventures. If I can't find one locally, this Winter's trip may be my first trip across the Mississippi in the Promaster in search of said vessel.
12' v-hull alum sea king.....Montgomery wards if that dates it for you...trolling motor...maybe oar..orange lifepersevers .....2 swivels seats....store outside turned over....leaks a little around some rivets....
No binime.....i need to stay out of sun....
No trailer....fresh water not ocean

border south central va

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,434 Posts
Please explain, not the thermodynamics, your locality preferences.
When I recall winters in Mississippi and Louisiana, I remember rain and drizzle. Lots of rain and drizzle. Lots of clouds. I remember walking across campus with my umbrella horizontal because the rain was horizontal. Occasional sunny days were celebrated.

The farther north and west you go in Texas, the less winter rain you will have, but SE Texas is about like Mississippi and Louisiana.

I visit family down there in the winter because summer is so much worse, but you might guess I don’t think of the area as a prime camping spot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
12' v-hull alum sea king.....Montgomery wards if that dates it for you...trolling motor...maybe oar..orange lifepersevers .....2 swivels seats....store outside turned over....leaks a little around some rivets....
No binime.....i need to stay out of sun....
No trailer....fresh water not ocean

border south central va

I had a similar one just like it growing up, and we used it so much I wore the aluminum right through on keels! My father purchased it brand new in the late 60's when my Mom noticed her manager at the local K-mart (Not, Monkey Wards) put it on clearance for $100. Oddly enough, I just sold it for him last year for 3x what he paid for it, holes and all :LOL: !

I'm actually looking for something a bit larger, but not by much. It's called a C-Dory and I'm looking for the smallest one they make (16ft). I primarily travel the coasts in Florida and Michigan and it seems like a good fit for both, but not easy to find.

Boat trailer Wheel Tire Boat Watercraft

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a similar one just like it growing up, and we used it so much I wore the aluminum right through on keels! My father purchased it brand new in the late 60's when my Mom noticed her manager at the local K-mart (Not, Monkey Wards) put it on clearance for $100. Oddly enough, I just sold it for him last year for 3x what he paid for it, holes and all :LOL: !

I'm actually looking for something a bit larger, but not by much. It's called a C-Dory and I'm looking for the smallest one they make (16ft). I primarily travel the coasts in Florida and Michigan and it seems like a good fit for both, but not easy to find.

View attachment 78618
Lots of C-Dories in the PNW. Nice little boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
I like TX and the Gulf coast, especially when it isn't so hot.

Austin is a great city for night life. We seldom go out much anymore though and avoid crowded areas.

Dallas is more metropolitan or at least it was when I was there long ago.

____

I mostly know AZ from Phoenix to Tuscon from quite a few business trips.

It is the kind of scenery that is very much in the eyes of the beholder. The same exact spot can be viewed as either amazing or a waste land.

·
Registered
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 2500 CARGO VAN HIGH ROOF 136" WB
62 Posts
The Rio Grande valley is warm and comfortable during the winter months. There are lots of great places for birdwatching if you're into that.

We often stay a day or two in the Yuma area when we're getting our teeth worked on in Los Algodones. Otherwise, Yuma is a bit sterile for us. We actually prefer to winter in Mexico, which we consider warm, safe, colorful and friendly. We really like San Miguel and Patzcuaro. We avoid resort towns like the plague. If you get to the south coast do try some local coconut shrimp and buy banana bread every chance you get.

We are planning to return to Mexico this winter but only if Covid calms down a bit. I love big Mexican markets but those would flat not work for us during the pandemic.

metalmagpie

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
408 Posts
I went to grad school at Ole Miss, and the summers are hot and humid. The winters wet and cold (and humid). And noxious plants and insects all over. I was not a fan of the environment. The education was good though, The music (the blues) was also awesome.

I have only visited Texas (many times) and Arizona (many times), and Florida as well (many, many times). Not bad in the winter. Even hotter than here though, in the summer. As my Mom (who lived in Tuscon) used to say "It is a dry heat."

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 78618
C Dory 16; Boats for sale or, BassPro on-line
Try Bass Pro on line…

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,447 Posts
Went to Florida in January 2020 and most everywhere was really packed. It was a struggle finding places to stay and most of what was available was only open because it was so expensive. Yes, you can stay in wildlife management areas free but you're basically on high spots in swamps with snakes, gators, and hordes of insects, not to mention the guys I saw wandering around hunting. Rest areas have 24-hour security in FL but limit stops to 3 hours. Guess a truck stop tour is doable, that might actually work pretty well there. Overall I still enjoyed Florida but I'm thinking it might be better (for me) to try it in the fall or spring since winter's too crowded and summer's too hot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have lived in San Antonio my whole 66yrs. Winter is my favorite time. Last 10 years have actually seen less rain but yes winter for me has been cool and damp - used to be on a regular cycle - no longer. I try and get out of here for the summer. Main thing I would caution is how you plan to "camp". There is almost no public land in TX... State Parks is where we camp... not like NM and CO with lots of public "free or cheap" places. I agree with metal magpie on RioGrande Birdwatching and warmth. PS these days you almost can't talk about TX w/o getting into some politics. - but I won't. ps check out Terlingua and Big Bend Country winter is when we go - it can be cold but generally it can have great weather

1 - 20 of 20 Posts