Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a great deal on a 2014 V6 Promaster 2500 with 116k miles and a new transmission. I know that there were some transmission issues with these. Should I be worried about that still even though this has a new transmission? What questions should I ask before I go and see and buy? And what kinds of service and service costs should I expect annually on one of these?

It will be a camper van conversion that I will be living out of full time for 2-3 years and then likely selling. Do these generally last for over 200k miles? 300k?

Obviously I am clueless thanks for the help and input!

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Generally they do. You could have an oil preassure sender to replace. Be sure it doesn’t tick as that means the cams may need attention. Front strut bearings might be an issue if in snow/salt areas. Price is the real issue as KOV says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Listed at $12,800. Hoping to get him down a little bit but either way that seems great to me based off of what I've seen in the few months of looking around.

However I also dont need to buy so soon, I could wait even 6 more months no big deal if it's not as great of a deal as I'm thinking.

If the service over 100k is going to cost me more in the long run, I'll wait and buy one with 50-60k for a few thousand dollars more.

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
Is it converted at all,or just an empty cargo van? What condition is it in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an empty van. Pretty much all that I know is in the description:
Great running raised roof van everything works. Automatic 3.6 V6 gas. AC, PW, PDL, Back up camera. Insulated deviding wall. Clean title.
New transmission with less than 100 miles.116226 miles.$12.800 / trade.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would want records. Who owned it, what was it used for, where/how was it driven, was the transmission rebuilt, replaced with a rebuilt, replaced with a new factory trans, who did the work, is it warrantied and for how long, has any other service/repairs been done, recalls, are the struts in good shape or need replacing, has the battery ever been replaced, are there records of the oil changes, etc, etc, etc.
It's always a gamble. You could get another 100k trouble free miles out of it, or could be a money pit.
Good place to start is to see if there's any records of it being taken care of and by who.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. The guy told me nobody had scheduled a time to see it and said I could see it this weekend, and then yesterday he messaged me saying somebody "reserved it." Hoping that that person will back out, but either way I learned a lot from this thread and I appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts