Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and I've been thinking about a high top van for a while to road trip with my wife. The plan would be a minimal rv conversion with a galley and bed. I like the promaster for it's wide body (transverse bed), front wheel drive traction, and affordability. It would be our second car for about 5k miles/yr around town and multi-week road trips of about 10k miles/yr.

I was leaning diesel, and there's a local 3500 for sale that caught my eye. It's a one owner factory repurchase. The check engine DFL lights were coming on, but that's reportedly all been fixed. It's 2015 with 21K miles, still under warranty and an asking price 26k. Decently equipped with an original factory sticker of $45k. Clean carfax except for the repurchase.

Am I crazy to even think about a repurchase diesel?

Any opinions about dealer service of diesel PMs in the Denver area? I'm concerned they may not take such good care of me as a second owner of a repurchase if the problems resurface.

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
Your taking a gamble, issues to think about, what does Ram do with lemons, repurchases and buybacks? what does the State require Ram to do and what does DMV do? Don't use a Carfax copy from dealer.

That vehicle could have been in and out the shop so many times the owner got Ram to buy it back ahead of applying lemon laws.

Then again maybe it needed a long time to get parts and has been repaired.

Food for thought

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I agree and I also think the price is a bit high. I'd be happier at $22-24K. PLUS get an extended warranty thrown in for a bit of extra insurance. Give them a nice refundable deposit on the condition no issues show up in a week test and then drive the van about 1000 miles to see if it is really ok. I predict it will be and you will soon love the thing.
Very few have had problems. I would ask for the car fax.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole! At 10-15k miles per year you're never going to see any savings from the diesel. You can get a brand new gas Promaster with a full warranty for just a few thousand more.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'd buy it in a heartbeat, especially if you can talk them down a bit on price. If it's got a full warranty and they've ironed out all the issues already I think you've got nothing to worry about. I bought my gas version in Denver and have not had a problem with service/warranty work at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and info, everyone!
Phil, good point about the car being a lemon with a lot of unknowns. I called the ram dealership a few miles from my house and they were able to tell me the warranty (both basic and powertrain) are still valid and the van has had all its recalls. What they couldn't tell me is what Ram did to fix the van after the buyback. It took 8 months after the buyback for the van to show up at a dealership who quickly auctioned it off and it ended up on at an independent used car delership. Here's the carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DCS_0&vin=3C6URVHD3FE512063

RDinNH, good advice on a purchase strategy. Love your conversion, by the way, and it'll be my model for a somewhat more minimalist conversion of my own. How about those Patriots!

TravelDerby, your point about economics of gas vs diesel is spot on for the promaster. I was thinking that diesel would be a last-forever engine with high resale value, as it is for trucks and Sprinter, but maybe I need to rethink a bit. I'll check out both models for drivability, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts