Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
Really enjoying the factory UConnect 5 .
Some have installed deluxe cheapy's spending time and money trying to figure out how to get back all the functions that UConnect 5 system already had 馃

Registered
2019 118" Silver
Many of us have UConnect 3 so not all that great. It doesn't have to be the cheapest tablet either, several nicer ones around.

Registered
There are issues with the cheap android head unit but having a browser and being able to install all your favorite phone apps (Torque, AlfaOBD, off-line maps, etc) can be pretty nice. Plus, that big 10" screen for looking at the maps while navigating (google maps built in)

It was a pain to get it installed and all working but now that it is over, really nice having a proper computer (android) to access all my gadgets. I pretty much just use the phone for taking photos and talk/texting. I probably could install an app to do all those functions as well.

View attachment 86772

I recently instrumented my solar/electric with something called "home assistant" and then accessed it from the browser.
View attachment 86773
Larry, how does your unit get data? Does it use your phone as a Hotspot?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
Larry, how does your unit get data? Does it use your phone as a Hotspot?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I spent an extra hundred dollars for an android head unit with a sim slot and put a data-only Google-Fi sim card in it.

Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
What network does Google-Fi use? How much is a data SIM? Are there limits on data usage?

Registered
What network does Google-Fi use? How much is a data SIM? Are there limits on data usage?
They use US-Cellular, Sprint and T-Mobile. Since T-Mobile merged with Sprint there are now only two carriers. Google is adding "verified Wi-Fi" to their network so when you are roaming in town you might connect through someone's Wi-Fi. It is all transparent.

No charge for data-only SIM if you already have an account. I have the pay-as-you-go data plan ($10/g) which works great until I am on the road :) I think it is unlimited and no additional charge after 12g. They have unlimited plans as well for much less.

Registered
My OEM unit died about 2.5 yrs ago & I put a JVC KW-M855BW in ($382). It's really a POS. The screen is bad, the backup camera view is almost unviewable. The user interface is horrible. As bad as the OEM unit is, you can do worse.

Registered
Hey folks! I have a 2021 Promaster I just got. Coming from a 2021 Tundra that had Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I am missing this quite a bit, also the screen is quite a bit smaller in the Promaster. I see plenty of radio harnesses, install kits, and nice radio upgrades, but there is a lot of tech integrated into my factory radio. I see that Maestro offers an RR2 module that retains steering wheel controls, back up camera, but... how does it do with blind spot monitoring and the rest of the vehicle settings in the standard radio setting menus? Any reports on these? Thanks!
Your best bet is to phone iDatalink to make sure that you buy the right harness and Maestro. I did that, and they told me exactly what to get. I haven't installed it yet, but what I want is to see the tire pressures on the radio. I don't have steering wheel controls or the other things you mention, but it will work if you have them. I know someone else who did that on a Promaster newer than my 2017. I wish I had blind spot monitoring. It would be even more useful on my Promaster than on my Prius Prime, which has it. I replaced the Uconnect radio with a Pioneer with GPS, CD player, and other features. iDatalink should be able to tell you how it will handle other features that you have. You should be able to connect a backup cam to it, too, but I chose to install one with a display that replaces my rear view mirror. A car radio store, I'm told, is the best place to install the harness and Maestro.

Hey folks! I have a 2021 Promaster I just got. Coming from a 2021 Tundra that had Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I am missing this quite a bit, also the screen is quite a bit smaller in the Promaster. I see plenty of radio harnesses, install kits, and nice radio upgrades, but there is a lot of tech integrated into my factory radio. I see that Maestro offers an RR2 module that retains steering wheel controls, back up camera, but... how does it do with blind spot monitoring and the rest of the vehicle settings in the standard radio setting menus? Any reports on these? Thanks!

Registered
Oh wow, that is smart. didn't know there were head units out there with this!

Can the head unit broadcast a wifi signal like a hotspot would?
It's an android radio (ATOTO S8) so just like a phone w/o voice, but everything else. I assume it does hot-spot, but for a variety of reasons I never did that. Nor have I put a high gain LTE antenna on the roof. I just use the PCB antenna taped under the clipboard. Seems to work fine in town and lousy in the boonies, just like my 5G phone. I probably should look into the external antenna as having a data connection would be kind of fun when moderately remote.

Registered
Here鈥檚 why I did recently. I love it - it really modernizes the experience of driving the van!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts