Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As mentioned by others, the hood access is scary. Looks fine for fluid checks and not much else. There are what appear to be access panels in the cabin floor though. I really want to see a service book for this thing.

Power is just fine and the trans willingly and smoothly downshifts to give you the revs you need. (Others have complained about this. I love it.) I don't see any potential migraines there.

Brakes were potent but touchy. Took some getting used to. Potent is good though, and I imagine they are much less like a light switch when the thing isn't empty.

With the factory partition installed the seat adjustment is significantly compromised. That said, it is very nicely done with a layer of insulation and a fabric cover.

The remotes have three buttons: Unlock front, unlock back, and lock. Very cool. They also have great range and no blind spots. Sprinter owners can start being jealous right now. (For those not aware, Sprinter remotes are borderline sadistic.)

The noise all seems to come from the cargo area. Flooring it will generate significant noise, but at cruise there isn't much coming from up front. I think an insulated partition might make this thing very quiet in the cab. I'm going to try to get a test drive in one with the partition installed.

The rear camera option is excellent. At the dealership I backed the 159" into a tight spot from a narrow lane with ease. It stays on in reverse OR when the rear doors are open.

Blind spot mirrors are just ok. Wish they were bigger.

I think one more test drive to confirm there is nothing that's impossible to live with and I'll be ordering.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The access panels in the cab floor are for the battery, (underfoot), the rear one is for access to the top of the fuel tank just in case the fuel pump ever needs to be changed. Now you don't have to drop the tank on this one.
We've had 2 Sprinters, and the lock remotes aren't far from being worthless

·
Registered
363 Posts
One other thing. The fuel cap door is a flimsy plastic affair which does not lock.
I noticed that too. Makes me wonder if it will be something that could break in the future due to it being so flimsy. Kind of has me concerned. But at least they made so many other vital things solid.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The rear camera option is excellent. At the dealership I backed the 159" into a tight spot from a narrow lane with ease. It stays on in reverse OR when the rear doors are open.
Could you live without the rear view camera though? I'm just wondering how hard it is to see out the back of the Promaster if you don't have a back up camera.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Could you live without the rear view camera though? I'm just wondering how hard it is to see out the back of the Promaster if you don't have a back up camera.
I wouldn't want to be without the rear camera. After having our minivan (nissan quest) and using that as an extra safety measure. I guess it depends on how much glass there is on the van. Heck, tractor trailer drivers do it all the time but if the option is available I'd rather have it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I heard that service warranty hours for a complete power train removal is at .5 hours. If you look at the way the engine/trans/steering assembly is constructed that seems legit. Up on a hoist off with the wheels then a custom jack stand under the pack and disconnect steering column, wiring harness and fuel lines and crossmember then a few bolts and that is it. My info may be full of Sh*t but this van has been around for a very long time and how else would you service it? Maybe they got the idea from the M1A1 tank or visa versa.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
The access panels in the cab floor are for the battery, (underfoot), the rear one is for access to the top of the fuel tank just in case the fuel pump ever needs to be changed. Now you don't have to drop the tank on this one.
We've had 2 Sprinters, and the lock remotes aren't far from being worthless
I'm going to look at a Winnebago Travato next week. Where is the rear panel for the fuel pump located? I need to assure this has not been compromised while fitting out the Travato. Is it in the cab area or cargo area?
Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm going to look at a Winnebago Travato next week. Where is the rear panel for the fuel pump located? I need to assure this has not been compromised while fitting out the Travato. Is it in the cab area or cargo area?
Thanks
It's right at the right rear corner of the driver's seat. The ProMaster has all of it's equipment under the cab area, not the cargo. There is a raised floor step right where the cab starts on them.

Check out this very informative video. Explains a lot of the nuances of the vehicle.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never seen a Ducato with this part broken. Probably it's not so exposed to damage.
There is a new owner on the forum who had his break pre-delivery, and I've see a PM on the lot with a broken one, but that van appeared to have been vandalized.

Another thing from test driving: Try out the seats. There is a manual lumbar option which for me was uncomfortably intrusive even at the lowest setting. I found the standard seat to be much more comfortable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is a new owner on the forum who had his break pre-delivery, and I've see a PM on the lot with a broken one, but that van appeared to have been vandalized.

Another thing from test driving: Try out the seats. There is a manual lumbar option which for me was uncomfortably intrusive even at the lowest setting. I found the standard seat to be much more comfortable.
My fuel door is the one that was broken pre delivery! Perhaps I should order a spare in the event that this happens again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts