Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forums but couldn't find any discussions. Is THHN type stranded wire suitable for the 12v wiring in a camper van build? It'll be used for things like led lights, fans, USB ports, 12v fridge, water pump etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
367 Posts
The THHN will work just fine, however, there are a couple of thing to consider.
It is not as flexible as some "automotive" type wire because it only has 19 conductors and a semi-hard plastic cover over the vinyl.
"Automotive" type wire usually has 38 strands, and just the vinyl coating.
Also the #12 wire is only good for 20 amps. The water pump and fridge may exceed that.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Another good choice is to use a high quality extention cord of the correct AWG for your circuit and just cut the ends off it. Cut it to length for whatever you need. You don't need home runs for 12vdc ground unless you want them. Some people just ground to the chassis others like to have a common ground location. It can be done either way if you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Most manufacturers ground to the chassis but others like a dedicated ground wire to be sure of a good ground.

Like everything else there are many ways to do something. You have to choose the best method for your skills and wallet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The THHN will work just fine, however, there are a couple of thing to consider.
It is not as flexible as some "automotive" type wire because it only has 19 conductors and a semi-hard plastic cover over the vinyl.
"Automotive" type wire usually has 38 strands, and just the vinyl coating.
Also the #12 wire is only good for 20 amps. The water pump and fridge may exceed that.
Ok thanks for the info. Yeah I assumed that on some items I'd need to go up to a bigger wire.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another good choice is to use a high quality extention cord of the correct AWG for your circuit and just cut the ends off it. Cut it to length for whatever you need. You don't need home runs for 12vdc ground unless you want them. Some people just ground to the chassis others like to have a common ground location. It can be done either way if you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Most manufacturers ground to the chassis but others like a dedicated ground wire to be sure of a good ground.

Like everything else there are many ways to do something. You have to choose the best method for your skills and wallet.

I hadn't thought of that. I assumed that I would need to run both wires back to the 12v fuse block.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The refrigerator will not draw much over 5 amps (probably less) if it is a modern 12 volt RV unit of 3 cubic feet or so,
The fridges do not draw much yet the install instructions for my TruckFridge TF65 (similar to an Indel B cruise 65) said to use a 15 amp fuse and no smaller than 12ga wire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would use marine grade wire for anything that runs under the chassis. It's tinned copper stranded wire and will resist salt corrosion. Also use heat shrink crimp connectors and a good crimping tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts