Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have driven the 2500 high roof model & am sorry to say that the legroom in this van is very tight. I am 6'4" tall, above average, but I think anyone over 6' will have difficulty getting comfortable for more than a short drive.
I had hoped that the higher driving position would make up for the 38.?" legroom listed in the specs for this van, it does not. There is also very little adjustment in the telescoping wheel. The seat has good adjustability, but I could not find a comfortable position behind the wheel.
I like the low load floor & front wheel drive & was hoping this van could replace my 2003 Express (adequate legroom, horrible fuel economy). The following day I drove a 2013 Sprinter & the driving position is incredibly roomy, lots of adjustability & loads of legroom, I will be driving a 2014 when they arrive, & will probably wait for the Transit to compare it to the Sprinter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah it's up once again. $995 destination fee isn't too bad at all considering how big the ProMaster is and all the work involved. Anything more and people would be pissed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Look out for my 3500

one of those is mine I ordered one about 6 months ago and I should be getting it around the 8th. Look out for a sandstone colored 3500

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am sad to hear about the discomfort for tall drivers since I am pretty tall at 6'1". I'll be on the look out for that during my test drive. And I'm surprised the telescopic steering wheel didn't actually adjust much. I hope that the Promaster isn't cutting corners everywhere. Then I'll be forced to look into a Benz instead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove the 2014 Benz l4/7sp last Saturday.
It's very comfortable, quick to 65mph, slow from 65 to 80.
And about 10 grand more $

I'm 6'4". I won't be very happy if I don't fit in a Pro...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the base Sprinter is $37,000 & the base 136" WB Promaster is $30,500. I was considering the diesel version of the Promaster which adds $4000.00, so the pricing is not that different.
I was quite disappointed that the legroom was so lacking in the Promaster, the FWD transverse engine/transmission must be eating the legroom. I noticed reading the first test drives that the lack of legroom is mentioned. I will be interested to see if other tall drivers find the Promaster short on legroom. If you check the specs the legroom is listed at 38.?". that is less than most compact cars, seems like a possible area of concern for Chrysler as most of the folks I see driving cargo vans are not petite high school girls.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the base Sprinter is $37,000 & the base 136" WB Promaster is $30,500. I was considering the diesel version of the Promaster which adds $4000.00, so the pricing is not that different.
I was quite disappointed that the legroom was so lacking in the Promaster, the FWD transverse engine/transmission must be eating the legroom. I noticed reading the first test drives that the lack of legroom is mentioned. I will be interested to see if other tall drivers find the Promaster short on legroom. If you check the specs the legroom is listed at 38.?". that is less than most compact cars, seems like a possible area of concern for Chrysler as most of the folks I see driving cargo vans are not petite high school girls.
Did you happen to get a look at the seat mounting hardware, to see if a simple modification to move the seat up and back was a possible solution?

I've also read that not having a tilt adjustment on the steering column was annoying people too. How was the reach to the wheel?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have driven the 2500 high roof model & am sorry to say that the legroom in this van is very tight. I am 6'4" tall, above average, but I think anyone over 6' will have difficulty getting comfortable for more than a short drive.
I had hoped that the higher driving position would make up for the 38.?" legroom listed in the specs for this van, it does not. There is also very little adjustment in the telescoping wheel. The seat has good adjustability, but I could not find a comfortable position behind the wheel.
I like the low load floor & front wheel drive & was hoping this van could replace my 2003 Express (adequate legroom, horrible fuel economy). The following day I drove a 2013 Sprinter & the driving position is incredibly roomy, lots of adjustability & loads of legroom, I will be driving a 2014 when they arrive, & will probably wait for the Transit to compare it to the Sprinter.
where is it tight? does your knee hit the steering wheel?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did look at how the seat is mounted to the floor, perhaps one could raise the mounting frame off the floor? I also noticed that when the seat is in the highest position my line of sight out through the windshield is slightly restricted, raising the seat higher will clip too much of the upper view out. Moving the seat back more could possibly work, however the reach to the steering wheel is already long. Another thing I noticed is that the adjustment for the driver side mirror was maxed out in the upper position & should have adjusted higher for my view out.
As to knees hitting that was not the case, what I have found in nearly 40 years of driving is that I need to be able to extend my legs in front of me when driving, at least briefly, to be comfortable. In the Promaster that is not possible, there is no room to extend my legs unless they went toward the passenger side, not a very safe idea.
The seat is very adjustable, I just could not see driving this vehicle daily with the legroom available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
hemiowner
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing