Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the most recent issue. Coming back from dropping somebody at the airport the van just starts free reving on the highway. Once again here I am makeing an emergency exit off the hwy. Well I look down and not only is there tranny fluid coming out of the inspection hole at the bottom of the bell housing there is also coolant everywhere. So I’m like what the heck, I add water only to see it pouring out of the passenger side of the motor. After looking around for a little and assuming it could be that hose clamp that wept fluid since new, I look down at the thermostat housing with a light and wow there is a big ass hole in the housing itself. I think Chrysler uses to much plastic from China. I should have titled this thermostat housing failure

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
my 2014 had a TSB for a new radiator plus thermostat housing.
Got them both replaced and it still seeps and reeks of coolant.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my 2014 had a TSB for a new radiator plus thermostat housing.
Got them both replaced and it still seeps and reeks of coolant.
The hose clamp to that housing is where mine lost coolant for the last three years. That’s why it would only lose coolant to a certain level. Because the leak is near the top of the coolant system. By the way the part is $15 at the dealer, $25 at the aftermarket part stores.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
The hose clamp to that housing is where mine lost coolant for the last three years. That’s why it would only lose coolant to a certain level. Because the leak is near the top of the coolant system. By the way the part is $15 at the dealer, $25 at the aftermarket part stores.
Was it hard to put that hose clamp on? Did you DIY?
Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Was it hard to put that hose clamp on? Did you DIY?
Thanks
Very easy after you remove the air box. I would recommend looking up there with a good flashlight, look for any pinkish residue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
..I think Chrysler uses to much plastic from China...
They all use too much plastic. Twenty some years ago GM ruined the bulletproof reputation of the Buick 3.8 with a plastic intake. It's just not a good idea in the coolant path. I see the housing is bolted to something else plastic (intake manifold?).

I actually prefer supercharged or turbo engines for this reason. I have yet to see one with a plastic intake. I consider plastic engine parts a much bigger reliability risk than a turbo.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened? That didn't just appear out of the blue, something hit that and broke it.
Well I'm not sure how it could have been hit by anything, it's in a location that doesn't offer much room for an object to hit it. And it happend cruising down the hwy at 65mph.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They all use too much plastic. Twenty some years ago GM ruined the bulletproof reputation of the Buick 3.8 with a plastic intake. It's just not a good idea in the coolant path. I see the housing is bolted to something else plastic (intake manifold?).

I actually prefer supercharged or turbo engines for this reason. I have yet to see one with a plastic intake. I consider plastic engine parts a much bigger reliability risk than a turbo.
I totally agree. Way to much crappy plastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lower bolt on thermostat housing snapped on my. I’m surprised how corroded it was. Plastic Thermostat housing bolts to another piece of plastic on engine in metal sleeve. Any tips on getting the broken stud out? Wish I knew then what I know now’s? I’m most concerned about damaging the piece of plastic it goes into than anything else trying to get it out.
First 2 pics are the broken bolt.
Third is what it is supposed to look like
Last is the metal sleeve(for top bolt that didn’t break) in the plastic piece on engine that the thermostat housing bolts to...that i’m concerned most about damaging and causing more work.
Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lower bolt on thermostat housing snapped on my. I’m surprised how corroded it was. Plastic Thermostat housing bolts to another piece of plastic on engine in metal sleeve. Any tips on getting the broken stud out? Wish I knew then what I know now’s? I’m most concerned about damaging the piece of plastic it goes into than anything else trying to get it out.
First 2 pics are the broken bolt.
Third is what it is supposed to look like
Last is the metal sleeve(for top bolt that didn’t break) in the plastic piece on engine that the thermostat housing bolts to...that i’m concerned most about damaging and causing more work.
Thanks!!
Usual "easy" procedure for that is to cut a slot in the top of the broken bolt shaft with a dremel, let penetrating oil sit a few hours on the bolt threads (if it is really corroded and stuck, also make sure the oil is safe for plastic), then pray that it loosens with a flat head screwdriver. Be careful when cutting the slot on how hot the bolt gets so that you don't melt the plastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
good idea! I’ll try that. I guess i’ll find out if “kroil “was safe or not. It soaked overnight. Do you know what is the plastic part The thermostat bolts to is? In case I break that too?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I found that part number too. Dorman has a metal and a plastic one. Best I can tell, the passenger motor mount has to be removed to get it out. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here are a few pics of the coolant crossover pipe for reference. I really don't see how it would be able to be pulled out from behind motor mount. Unfortunately I may need to give up and have it towed if I can't get that rusted broken thermostat bolt out. any/all help/ideas appreciated. I posted how I replaced the bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor in the engine discussion section if anyone needs help there.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts