Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Yes, the sensor went bad, internal part. Yeah the extended one-yr warranty is a gamble. I'm still loving this van, don't want to part with it. It's not a van for city driving or else I'll get a warning to do some high-speed driving for awhile so I just do long-distance camping trips, perfect for me. But lately because of the COVID-19, I just use my electric bike to get groceries and go to the dentist etc. now that I'm not doing camping trips much anymore so it seems a bit senseless to have this extended warranty! I may cancel it . . .

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fate has a way to punish us either way.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you and all others who have spoken. Good luck with your diesel it is a great van.

·
Registered
613 Posts
@RD - Have been thinking about you selling your van and wondering how I'd feel without mine. It being my daily driver since last August, it surprises me now that when I go a few days without driving it I miss it. Maybe it's related partly to feelings of nostalgia from my VW bus days (as you can directly relate to), but mostly it's just plain fun to drive.

That it's a low top shorty with no cargo most of the time (IOW - lightweight) has some bearing but the maneuverability and tight turning radius combined with the front wheel drive really push it ahead of any other vans I've driven. The utility of a van (for my needs) over the pickup trucks I've had is also a big factor.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll miss yours but you never know, there could always be a new 'gasser' in your future some day. If you're not going to be doing a lot of camping I recommend a low top shorty. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
RD, it seems to me that it's your posts that I've most closely read for the past few months while researching Promaster builds. My wife and I began our build less than two weeks ago, shortly after meeting you and Keeponvaning in person and then going and buying a brand new van using your bid solicitation strategy. Want to say thanks much for documenting your efforts on van building and providing your opinions (we've listened closely to your suggestions on subfloor and also electrical). Good luck with all that life is dealing you. Hope to see you again. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
RD, I'm sorry to read that you are "hanging up" the old PM and I am sorry to hear that you have health issues. Although everyone will have to deal with health issues in time. I'm there but just to the point of aching joints and loss of energy.
I am working on my second conversion. I'm sure you are not aware but you walked me through the first. I had no idea what I was doing when it came to the electrical stuff and was really scared to start that part. But with your advice and that of your buddies I got her done. Only to ram it into a tree the 6th day out and total it on PEI, Canada. But thanks to your advice I am confident enough to do another and I did the electrical first and better than before. I'm getting up there in years but I work on it one day and then rest the next day. Thanks to you and this forum I know what I'm doing now. I would love to see you on the road sometime. Best of luck to you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am deeply humbled to have been a part of your van conversions and experiences. The van left this morning with a couple beginning their van travel adventures. Unlike owning a boat where the two happiest days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it, the van experience began with happy anticipation and for us ended with poignancy. Our lives are very full and rich. We need to give up camping so it made sense for it to go to people who will use and enjoy it.

Reactions: keeponvaning

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
RD,

Wow, I just picked up on this today and I know that you will be a part of the forum going forward, but I'm in shock and wish you all the best!

You have helped me in more ways than I have acknowledged over the years, so now I'm giving you a big note of thanks for all the help and guidance.

I believe that you are a key--very key part of this forum. Without your presence this forum would not be what it is today so please stay around!

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well when I started trolling to figure out which can to buy you were one of the people who convinced me most to get the pm diesel. I hope to have your luck. Good luck on your future travels what ever and how ever they might be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The NH contingent lost a fine van, even if it is without sparkplugs.
You have helped a lot of us, answered the same questions over and over.
Thank you for sharing, your suggestions were usually on the mark.
136" and gasless were exceptions.

Now I have to get a full size Leatherman. KOV can't represent NH alone,
although he also builds fine vans. The penultimate of which I just exercised for a few days in the White Mountain National Forest.

NHSkypix
Have MiniLeatherman will travel

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Actually my van is in NH still. As a leatherman recommendation, I now cary a “Wave.”
That van of KOV’s was a nice conversion, I liked the bunks and few have done them better.
As for advocating for the diesel, I still feel it is a great combination that FCA orphaned and never really invested enough commitment to. It is the “real” Ducato.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Wish you the best, and hope to see your comments in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Wish you the best, and hope to see your comments in the future.
Yep, @RDinNHandAZ and his nook led to me to putting a table and chair behind the driver's seat. Am super happy I did that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
RD, are you going to continue to make the commute back/forth to AZ via driving?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
We plan to fly. The trip from AZ this spring was truly a poor trip. We did NO adventures, NO parks or sightseeing, No hikes (except to walk Jack), No evening meals watching the sunset over a lake or mountain, No real human interaction, No fun at all really. I doubt it will be different in the fall and during the winter we like to travel in northern Mexico, AZ, Utah, NM and camp and I wonder when that will be easy. Flying gets us there in one day albeit a very tiring day. We got a letter from the Doctor that Jack is the Ms. “emotional support animal” and have tickets at a price we could not drive even with diesel at $2. I have reservations as they say but we will fly nonetheless.

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
How Fast Our World & Lives can Change

We really enjoy road trips with our van, and in a short time are coming up to 40,000kms, much of which have been in Western USA. Like you we love the adventure, parks, sightseeing, hikes, & sunsets (recently, RnR posted about going up the mountain road leading to Sequoia Park & if it is the one I think he is describing we have been “down” it once in the van & twice on motorcycle). We love that road (Mostly for bikes) & discovered it one night looking at google maps (searching Western North America for twisties).

The Covid has changed our world for now at least. Like you, we are also switching gears for now & reevaluating our trips, world, & resources. This summer, we will be sticking in BC & Alberta (many beautiful places like Banff are in Alberta in the Rockies just slightly out of BC. Even if the States opens up to us soon, we plan on staying in Canada until 2021. We have “snowbird” friends that are more than a decade older than us & they own real estate in AZ. Their thought once the borders are open is the “travel medical insurance” & how it relates to Covid may prevent them from “snowbirding” or the insurance will exclude Covid.

The MS & I tend to work & play hard. We focus on enjoying life as much as possible.

RD, I admire the spirit I read in your post above about You & The MS “changing gears” & carrying on.

I am also happy to see you sticking around on this forum !!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts