Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a safe bet that the people from the Ram Marketing Dept. are keeping an eye on web forums like this one, to gauge public interest and get some feedback on the Promaster.

We might as well take the opportunity to tell them what we want.

I'll start.

I want an insulated roof, with a headliner, and a opening roof vent / electric fan like the Fan-tastic Vent, with some L.E.D. dome lights.

It gets bloody hot where I live and there is no way to ventilate the cargo area as it's currently equipped.

What do you guys want ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Passenger features - windows, insulation, rear heat/AC, etc.
Swivel driver and passenger seats.
Auto deploying step.
Power side door.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A roof vent would be cool (literally) for keeping the interior cool while driving around. It would be nice to have removable seats for the back too that you could add or remove depending on if you want to have more cargo or more passengers.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Short-term a stand-alone engine driven generator and inverter with at least 2KW of power; 5 KW would be better still to run larger tools and other electrical needs directly off engine.

Long-term a simple hybrid system similar to Honda's new design. Above mentioned AC power inverter could run off vehicle battery initially when fully charged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A roof vent would be cool (literally) for keeping the interior cool while driving around. It would be nice to have removable seats for the back too that you could add or remove depending on if you want to have more cargo or more passengers.
They actually have kits out there, and even a powered fan if you want. But I guess it would be better to have it come from factory.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They actually have kits out there, and even a powered fan if you want. But I guess it would be better to have it come from factory.

Im pretty sure getting that installed will void some sort of warranty or something since it's not from Ram. This might be a good question to ask people at the dealer or even Ram headquarters.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The roof vent seems like it should be an option for a full size van. I'm sure that Ram could easily offer that as an option. Would it really screw up the warranty by getting it installed afterwards? That kinda sucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Would it really screw up the warranty by getting it installed afterwards? That kinda sucks.
No, unless it could be proven that a modification was the cause of any damage you were trying to get fixed under a warranty.

The Magnusson - Moss Act of 1975 addresses warranty issues.

I clipped a small part of this from the Federal Trade Commission Website.

Very handy info if you have a fight on your hands . . .

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

·
Registered
386 Posts
1st choice 4x4.

2nd choice a real locking differential.
rear locking diff in the FWD model or the 4x4 model?

If they came out with a 4x4 model it is highly unlikely to get a locking diff in the rear. It's probably going to be a FWD bias torque vectoring 4x4 and not a realtime 4x4.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If they do 4x4, it will probably leverage ABS braking for the differential locking function, with probably a center viscous coupling.

It would be great if they did a 4x4!

If they came out with a 4x4 model it is highly unlikely to get a locking diff in the rear. It's probably going to be a FWD bias torque vectoring 4x4 and not a realtime 4x4.

·
Registered
386 Posts
keeping the back cool or the front?

if you get the van in white the interior shouldn't get any hotter then the temps outside.

if you want the cargo to stay cool you might have to look at actual cooling (AC)

·
Registered
86 Posts

Not looking for a rear locking but a real locking differential.

We already know it is coming with a front brake locking differential from info on the Allpar forum. Just do not know how well it will work. Therefor would like to have the option of a 4x4, awd or a selective locking differential.

The electronic stability control includes ready alert braking (emergency stopping), brake assist, brake-lock differential system, hydraulic boost compensation, trailer-sway control, hill-start assist, drift compensation technology, rollover mitigation, and automatic brake lamp actuation.

Original is at Ram ProMaster - the big van based on the Fiat Ducato http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html#ixzz2fixTvObD
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

·
Registered
654 Posts
They should offer:
  • Passenger version options with rear seating, hvac & insulation
  • Air suspension
  • Bulkhead that adjusts to behind sliding door for crew cab effect
  • Eberspacher heater for engine off heat-either coolant heating, or standalone gas/diesel air heat
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION! ie, regular clutch -not auto clutch

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
They should offer:

.....cut......
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION! ie, regular clutch -not auto clutch
For me either that or the new 9-speed ZF automatic. The larger version of the one being used in smaller FWD Jeeps is reportedly rated at up to 450 NM for diesel applications. And the 3.0L diesel is around 400 NM so it might work. High GVWR might be an issue in a ProMaster.

I can't see myself ever buying a vehicle with an automated single-clutch transmission.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For me either that or the new 9-speed ZF automatic. The larger version of the one being used in smaller FWD Jeeps is reportedly rated at up to 450 NM for diesel applications. And the 3.0L diesel is around 400 NM so it might work. High GVWR might be an issue in a ProMaster.

I can't see myself ever buying a vehicle with an automated single-clutch transmission.
My concern with these high speed transmissions is if they will still be as reliable as the transmissions before it, with more gears doesn't that mean more parts? more things to go wrong?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I like FIAT's automated manual, no torque converter losses, it seem that all of Europe get the full manual transmission with no auto clutch function (though I think it is an optional extra) and they manage quite well. USA market is a victim of conventional wisdom in this regard.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My concern with these high speed transmissions is if they will still be as reliable as the transmissions before it, with more gears doesn't that mean more parts? more things to go wrong?
That's a valid point. Plus I guess there is no way of knowing how reliable any new transmission is going to be, regardless of number of gears.

More parts does mean more items that can fail, but if each one is reliable I don't personally get too concerned about it. I think of it in terms of a 6-cylinder engine having more parts than a 4-cylinder. While there are more parts to go wrong, the probability due to numbers alone doesn't concern me too much. Obviously a transmission is a little different than that due to added complexity and packaging, but I still think it comes down to how well it's engineered and manufactured.

On rear-wheel-drive applications 8-speed automatics are becoming fairly common now. Nine speed doesnt' seem as much of an overkill now by comparison. And the near 10-to-1 gear range could help a loaded van a lot. Only time will tell if these new 9-speed FWD automatics hold up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts