Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife is finally on board, and we're getting a Ram Promaster 136 hr, probably new, within the next few weeks to build out for our weekend warrior and road trip machine.

At this point, we're trying to decide whether to commit to doing everything ourselves, or just go the Wayfarer route to get on the road quicker. Been reading these forums for months, and am very thankful for all the amazing advice.

Cheers from CO!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome ! Nice.

Wayfarer might be a good idea for starting out. Quickly use the van, find out if you like It and if there is anything you want to change.

Do you have a place to work on it, tools etc? If so the Wayfarer budget might go further as DYI but certainly it would take more work and time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome ! Nice.

Wayfarer might be a good idea for starting out. Quickly use the van, find out if you like It and if there is anything you want to change.

Do you have a place to work on it, tools etc? If so the Wayfarer budget might go further as DYI but certainly it would take more work and time.
The Wayfarer budget is what keeps me coming back to thinking about building it out myself. I have plenty of time, a space to work on it, and can pick up any tools needed while still coming in under budget for the Wayfarer (the tools are a big carrot for this haha). Just found RemoraCo's bed brackets for the Promaster, and now I'm completely on board with a personal buildout.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The wife is finally on board, and we're getting a Ram Promaster 136 hr, probably new, within the next few weeks to build out for our weekend warrior and road trip machine.

At this point, we're trying to decide whether to commit to doing everything ourselves, or just go the Wayfarer route to get on the road quicker. Been reading these forums for months, and am very thankful for all the amazing advice.

Cheers from CO!
Its hard to know exactly how you want your van without trying first. I am going to say I think the wayfarer kits do not look like a lot for the money. But if you want to get started quickly, they certainly have that appeal.

Look at the kit and what it includes and decide. It basically looks like a bed, chair, a lit bit of a kitchen, insulation, and paneling for $10,000. I went very high end on insulation (thinsulate, xps, and polyiso) and didn't spend anything near that on these items. Are you wanting a basic shell to camp in, or somewhere you will be living part time?

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
My conversion is sort of a custom wayfarer modular conversion. I made the galley a module, a full dinette for 2 module, closed overhead storage modules, a retracting bed/couch module, a vent fan, insulation, refrigerator, diesel furnace, porta pottee, solar, batteries, and so much more for 1/2 the money. If I had done their modules, insulation, vent fan, and floor I might have spent $1200. Makes even hiring a carpenter to build them seem cheap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What was crude about it? The construction, material, how it connects to the van?
Thought I’d toss in my 2 cents. I’ve also seen the Wayfarer kit in person; I would describe it as simplistic rather than crude. It’s a one-day-installed minimalist kit rather than a custom buildout that takes time. I think it could appeal to someone that would give the buildout only occasional use, although there are some that use the Wayfarer full time. Or maybe someone that often needs to go between a camping van and a work van. If going full time or more than occasional use, you’ll need to add to the Wayfarer kit, anyway.

I priced everything out and determined Wayfarer’s material costs are maybe 20% of total sales price. You’re paying for convenience. Instead, you can build out the van yourself, buy all new power tools, hire part-time help, and also have solar, fridge, ceiling fan, storage, everything Wayfarer provides but extras times 3, all for less than the cost of just the Wayfarer kit alone.

If you have the time to do the build yourself, you may find it worthwhile to work out your own build price and compare that to the cost of the Wayfarer kit to see what’s best for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts