Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to post this for a while. So I found the last tires I'm ever going to buy. The winner is the Mastercraft Courser HXT. Here's my own comparison:

Mastercraft Courser HXT - $111 cost, less than $150 retail installed. 10 ply, E range. Wear like iron, super deep grooves, killer in snow, quiet, a no brainer

Michelin M/S 2 or Defender - premium tire, super quiet, fronts wore at about 80k. Very nice, but at $240 each expensive. Great in snow.

Continental Contis - this is what many of our earlier vans came with. Good tire, but overpriced. Loud, good in snow but marginal in summer. Wear like iron. I got over 200k out of the rears (I don't rotate). A fine tire, but not worth the price.

Firestone A/T - the "other" cheap $150 tire. These did okay, but wore quick. Poor in winter and not great in wet either. Reasonably quiet.

I haven't owned the Nexens that came on the later vans (still currently I think). But for me the search is over - Mastercrafts all the way.

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Courser-HXT.aspx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the post! I’ve got the original Nexens on still at 22,000 miles. They are wearing very good, but it’s nice to have options when the time comes for new tires. I find the Nexens a little stiff on my ride quality. 2016 high roof ext. 3.6 gas. (Plumbing van)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive got 25k on the Nexxans. Ill rotate them at 40k. When they wear out Ill replace them with Firestone HT transforce. The Firestones last me about 150k a set on a sprinter and the set I put on my last Promaster were wearing well when i traded in. Ive had no issues in snow or ice nor summer rain with either brand.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That doesn't look like a one stop tire. You'll still need an actual winter tire.

Check into something like the Cooper XT/4 or AT/W, which are actually snow tire rated, so you can use them during passenger traction laws.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That Mastercraft on our size is NLA on that site. They say they have nothing that fits our van.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought Mastercraft Coursers last week. They exist and are plentiful.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Our local tire store ordered them. We noticed immediately that the noise level seriously diminished. I measured about 8 dB decrease!

We also had a loud groan when turning the wheel in parking lots. That appears to be gone.

No bad weather to test them yet, but no reason to think they won’t do well.

So thank you, Kip.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,838 Posts
Our local tire store ordered them. We noticed immediately that the noise level seriously diminished. I measured about 8 dB decrease!

We also had a loud groan when turning the wheel in parking lots. That appears to be gone.

So thank you, Kip.
Hi @MsNomer

What did you have on your van before you replaced them?

·
Registered
315 Posts
MsNomer , I assume you got the Mastercraft Courser HXT, but what size, I prefer a 245/70R16 to get a wider pad but still be almost stock in diameter.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts

So thank you, Kip.
Hi,
When you get a reading on how they do in snow, and/or whether you see any change in MPG, please let us know.

Won't need new tires until next Spring, but these look good.

Gary

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since posting this, I have also tried the cheaper version of the Courser HXT, though I cant remember what it’s called. Still a 10 ply E range tire, but about $90 compared to the HXTs $120. Conclusion: slightly shorter life, similar performance, but not very good in snow due to less siping.

Since we are around 100,000 miles per year per van, my Kip-on-Truckin’ company front tire policy has been to install the cheaper Courser in the spring, and put on the courser HXT in winter. Rear tire policy remains unchanged with either tire in the rear and not rotate them.

On a side note, earlier this spring I tried an experiment by putting non E rated tires on the front, since I found a model of Mastercraft that had a high enough load rating (though not E) but was in the $75 price range.

Lemme tell ya. If you want to find out just how off your alignment is, put a budget tire on and see how long they last. Less than 5k. Whereas a beefier/better tire tolerates misalignment and it’s associated heat, the cheaper tire just goes bald. It was due to this tire experiment that I bought some fancy tools and now do my own alignments, and it also prompted me to seek out and find the TRX ball joints and install them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts