Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully a quick question: I'm getting the basic radio. It has the backup camera display but no NAV.

Does it have a USB port that I can stick in a memory stick with music MP3 and audiobook MP3 files such that I can listen to them?
Will it remember where in the song or the book chapter it was when I turned off the van and play it from where it stopped?

I think the radio is called a Uconnect 3.0.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
The uc3 has supposedly been discontinued for ‘18. All the uConnect radios are rubbish. Save your money and put it towards a good head end that will do what you want it to do.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The uc3 has supposedly been discontinued for ‘18. All the uConnect radios are rubbish. Save your money and put it towards a good head end that will do what you want it to do.
Actually, I like the Uconnect that is in my 2011 Dodge Caravan.

Sadly, the standard radio in the PM seems more basic than my Caravan Uconnect (smaller screen, lower quality backup camera, no internal media hard drive (though USB makes this moot).

If they offered the Uconnect from my 2011 Caravan, I would be very happy.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Yes it does... Thumbdrive or Ipod will work fine!
iPod? in the USB port? Not on my UC3 unless you know something I haven’t been able to find. How does the new basic radio do that?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
Actually, I like the Uconnect that is in my 2011 Dodge Caravan.
I like the Uconnect in our 2013 Journey and 2014 Challenger..... the Uconnect5 in the PM is an entirely different experience (in a not-good way)

I listen to audiobooks a lot and they work well from USB stick... my complaint is theat ther is no way to fast forward or reverse playback except by dragging a very small slider on the display... very imprecise and jumpy. Yes, it goes on and off so you don't lose your place.

But, if the radio is off and you get a phone call, when you end the call the radio comes on, whether it was on beforehand or not! ARRRGGGHHH!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm pretty sure the standard radio is the now called the UC 3 which is nothing more than the UC 5 because the back up camera is now standard, hence the renamed radio.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Another point of interest is that the optional NAV at $395 is now a Garmin based GPS, not TomTom. And yes, I know I can buy a really nice GPS for less than $395 but not everyone wants a GPS up on their dash with a wire hanging down to the cigarette outlet. In Virginia it's illegal to have any electronic device blocking the view above your dash.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks to people who have answered. I'm now happy that it does play MP3 files from a USB port near the steering wheel.

Just a note that for 2018, the base radio is called a Uconnect 3 and it is accessory code UCA.

I'm also happy that (for 2018) Canadian Promasters come standard with the BC3 upfitter interface connector that should give me easier rear-speaker capability.

By the way, I got a list of all the accessory codes that come standard with a 2018. Here are the codes as it pertains to the radio and entertainment system:

Code, Description:

RCD - 4 speakers
RFU - 5-inch touchscreen
XRB - hands-free comm. with Bluetooth
RS6 - Media hub w/ USB & aux input jack
RSF - Media input hub
RDZ - steering wheel-mounted audio ctrls
UCA - Uconnect 3 with 5-inch display
BC3 - Upfit interface connector

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How's the audiobook thing working for you?
I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I didn't really listen to audiobooks during my trips. I was too busy watching the interesting scenery. :p

"Sonically", I feel I need to do some more sound insulation in the PM.

I did listen to music and I felt I needed to turn up the volume more than I'd have liked on the freeway.

Part of the blame lies with me in that I removed the shelf and the headliner above me in the cab in order to apply some sound deadening material and I didn't get a chance to put them back. Nor did I put on the 3M Thinsulate I got from Hein. So the cab is likely tinnier than what it will end up being.

Unrelated to the PM, I've recently started listening to audiobooks on long walks every day for exercise. I'm enjoying them and will likely include them in my audio entertainment when I'm on the road next.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the Uconnect in our 2013 Journey and 2014 Challenger..... the Uconnect5 in the PM is an entirely different experience (in a not-good way)

I listen to audiobooks a lot and they work well from USB stick... my complaint is theat ther is no way to fast forward or reverse playback except by dragging a very small slider on the display... very imprecise and jumpy. Yes, it goes on and off so you don't lose your place.

But, if the radio is off and you get a phone call, when you end the call the radio comes on, whether it was on beforehand or not! ARRRGGGHHH!
[I'm going by memory because it's been over 8 months since I've listened to the radio in the PM but] In the Uconnect 3 that I have, I think one of the toggle switches behind the steering wheel is a "skip forward/back" one song. But if you hold it down, it becomes a "fast forward/reverse". So this may be a more accurate way of going back a little while during an audiobook. My 2011 Caravan has a Uconnect of some vintage (maybe it's a 5 like yours?) and it had this function too; so maybe it's present in yours.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nor did I put on the 3M Thinsulate I got from Hein. So the cab is likely tinnier than what it will end up being.
You will be amazed at the difference Thinsulate makes. I did my front and rear door panels first and that alone made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You will be amazed at the difference Thinsulate makes. I did my front and rear door panels first and that alone made a huge difference.
I tried to insulate my driver's door with some Noico. I didn't manage to find much room to put much of it in despite removing the door panel. I have half a mind to stick some Noico on the OUTSIDE fo the door and painting it to match the body!

It's just another one of my kookie ideas. I'll have time to put Noico throughout the cab this summer and I trust that will make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I did put a few small pieces of Noico where I could, but then I applied Thinsulate between the door and the door panel. I've got a Transit and there was easily an inch of free space in there. Not sure about the Promaster.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did put a few small pieces of Noico where I could, but then I applied Thinsulate between the door and the door panel. I've got a Transit and there was easily an inch of free space in there. Not sure about the Promaster.
It's been a year or more since I opened up the doors so my memory is faint. But I recall being disappointed in how much (little) Noico I could put in vis-a-vis the amount of effort I had to make to remove the door panel. At the time, I didn't have any Thinsulate so I didn't think of putting any between the door and the panel. I have the pictures. I'll have to dig them out (and maybe start a build thread...).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts