Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I have been looking to replace my 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 240K miles on in when I found out it needed a catalytic converter and an evap test back in April of this year. I use my truck for my dog walking business, taking packs of dogs to beaches, parks and on hikes. I didn't like the newer Tacoma's mostly because of their increase in size and height of the tailgate and the handling seemed to have a lot of side sway compared to my older compact model. I also looked at a Nissan Frontier but that was even higher because of the larger stock tires.
Then I noticed a Ford Transit Connect driving in front of me one day and I liked the split rear doors and how low the floor was. I thought that would be great for the dogs, probably gets better gas mileage and would be a more comfortable ride for me. I was also kind of wanting something different than another Tacoma even though it treated me well and never let me down.
So I went and test drove a Transit Connect but was less than impressed. I've only owned two Honda's and a Toyota. Never thought I'd buy an American made car. Then I happened to see a PMC parked on the street a few days later. I went to the dealership and test drove one and liked it so much more than the Ford. I decided I wanted to buy a used one right away. The pnly problem was that most of the used ones were Tradesman vans with no opening windows in the back (or none at all) to provide adequate ventilation for my dogs. I then went onthe Ram website and did a custom build with the power windows on the sliding doors and a few other options including the factory partition with window, backup camera, full size spare tire and a few other things and got a quote from a Truecar dealer for $28,500. Yikes! My original budget was $15-20K. So I went back to my search and expanded it to 200 miles but the only thing I could find with windows in my area (San Diego/LA) were a few passenger wagons and they only had the hinged pop-outs. I knew that wouldn't cut it for my dogs.
Finally I got an idea to put a ventilation fan in the roof from someone who had converted his PMC into a camper van. With the fan and two pop-out windows there would surely be enough ventilation to keep the back cool and fresh smelling, possibly even better than having just the power windows. However, finding a Tradesman van with pop-outs was even difficult and after a few months and my truck tires getting balder and balder I broke down and called the dealer and told him I wanted to go ahead and order my custom build and just take out a loan to get exactly what I wanted.
Great, he tells me, but he has to get approval from the owner of the dealership to place my order. So a week goes by with me texting him every day and he keeps telling me the owner hasn't been around. I'm thinking this guy gave me a low quote and now doesn't want to honor it (I actually went to three other local dealers and they said they couldn't come close to his quote.). Then exactly one week later I find a 2015 PMC Tradesman with a partition, pop-out windows and a full size spare tire at a Honda dealership up in LA. 36,660 miles, no recalls, excellent service records and car fax report for $16,690! That very same day the Truecar dealer emails me and says they are going through the transition of 2017-2018 production and he doesn't know when he'll be able to place my order and it will cost a little more for the new model. If I didn't just find this used one that was almost exactly what I wanted for $10K less I would have lost it on the guy. I never responded to his email and drove up to LA three days later and bought the 2015 PMC SLT Tradesman for $18,555 out the door and the dealer even delivered it to my driveway in SD for me a few days later!
The only problem was that there is only one pop-out window in the back. The one on the drivers side is just a black panel. The previous owner also added black film on the rear panels to make it look like it has third row windows like some of the Fiat Doblo's have in Europe. Looks cool IMO. I just put a Maxxfan in the roof but need to figure out how to wire it in. Just got seat covers, a rubber cargo mat for the dogs, mud flaps and slush mats for the front. Now I just need to find someone to put a pop-out window on the drivers side and my van will be complete!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome find for you, Doug!
I actually thought about doing vinyl wrap to obtain that Doblo widow effect...I agree, it looks cool.
Nice! congrats! Your search is over!

Reactions: Doug Pizzy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very cool PMC, congrats! I had a first gen connect and while it was ok around the city it was a dog out on the hwy or hills. The engine was so clunky with it's 4 speed. I almost picked up a PMC like yours, but decided to go bigger for a conversion otherwise I decided that the PMC was the pick of the litter... Connect, nv200 etc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good score!

I have a roll of black vinyl and was thinking about doing the 3rd row window thing. But if I did it, I would probably fill in the space behind the window on the slider. Maybe.

I'd also thought about putting in a fan, spare battery, and solar panel. That way, the fan could run even if the van isn't. You might even be able to put the power on a thermostat, so it will automatically kick on when it gets too hot in the van.

Anyway, you must be really excited! SCORE!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey HeartlessMachine,
The fan does have a built in thermostat that turns it on if the temp is 78F or higher (it's not adjustable).
So I wired the fan to the 12V power in the back lower corner of the cargo area. The fan works great but the key has to be in the ignition for that power source. It's not a constant supply. I watched a few videos where people tapped into a dome light for constant power. I couldn't figure out how to take the rear dome light apart without breaking it so I went to the dealership today. The guy in the service department was being less than helpful. I just wanted someone to show me how to access the wires to the dome light by removing the lens/cover. He kept saying that they don't provide service to make alterations like that. I said I don't want you to wire anything, just show me how to take the light apart so I can do it myself. Finally he said he would have to go check with someone. Then a service mechanic came over and said he overheard the conversation and would show me how to take the lens off. I knew there was a trick to it and once he showed me it was a piece of cake.
However, after I got to the wires it was way more complicated than I ever imagined! Now I need to post about all of this, maybe to an electricians forum if no one here or in the ProMaster forum can help.
I can't believe how difficult this is turning out to be!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I see the other thread, and I agree with what they are telling you. Extra battery. And as I said before, if it was me, I would go with a solar panel on the roof to charge it. But others have more experience with this sort of thing, so I'm no expert. I'm interested in hearing how you like the fan once you're running it regularly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The back panels look great blacked out like that. Also the wheel covers painted black like that look good too. Are the wheel covers just spray painted?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Where did you find front mud flaps? I haven't found them yet for a Promaster City. There are no holes in the plastic wheel well cover.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't had time to install them. You do need to drill holes and you need a rivet gun. I bought one for about $13 at PepBoys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts