Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s hard to keep in shape over the winter in our part of Oklahoma. We get in a 10-mile hike every week or so at our local state park, weather permitting, but there is little ascent. Last week we got a jump start in the Arkansas Ozarks.

The Ozark Highlands Trail is a long-distance trail running through the Ozarks, dotted with primitive campgrounds. We would settle into a campground, hike out and back in one direction, then out and back the other direction the next day, weather and water crossings permitting. Repeat at the next campground. The last day, we hiked the Butterfield Trail at Devils Den State Park—more than 16 miles and 2,400 feet of ascent. Over the week, we accumulated about 80 miles and 10,000 feet of ascent.

We had cold weather, some cold wet weather, and some beautiful blue sky. We got drenched with sweat and rain. It was pure delight to have a warm dry bed, a hot shower, a fridge and a microwave in the van. My latest addition, a clothes drying rack was a real winner. Sometimes I am chagrined at the name I chose, but it truly was "hiker's paradise".

One night we had tent campers close by, so in spite of the cold, when they went to bed we turned off the Webasto. The next day, I asked whether the noise had bothered them. They looked a bit befuddled and asked, "What noise?"

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi MsNomer,

Sounds like a great trip. The OHT is in a rugged part of the state. A few years back a friend and I planned to hike the entire trail, 187 miles in 10-12 days to raise money for an organization. It was the most rugged trail I've ever hiked. Lots of fist sized rocks and the trail was always sloped heavily one way or the other so it was really tough on the feet. That March there happened to be record rainfall so creeks that we should have been able to cross on rocks ended up being waist deep and raging. It poured half our time on the trip and our feet were trashed. I've never had a problem with blisters but this trip didn't have a place on my feet that wasn't a blister. Mostly because our feet could never dry out. We ended up coming off the trail at 87.5 miles in 6 days because I strained something in my leg. After we got off the trail we found out that we probably wouldn't have been able to finish anyway. The river crossings coming up were going to be impassable and to get off the trail we would have had to hike another 16 miles because the Buffalo River was so blown out. It was the hardest hike I've ever been on but it was a blast. That part of the country is really beautiful.

I read a blog by a guy who had hiked the OHT and the JMT who said even though the OHT didn't have the elevation changes, it was just as tough as the JMT because of how rugged it was.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OHT didn’t seem any rockier than what we are used to—rocks simply were not an issue. Up to a point, we actually consider rocks an advantage—less chance of repetitive motion injury when each step is different from the previous one. We do wear firm leather boots. This is ordinary trail to us, good for ~2.5mph, except we don’t often see our destination ahead:

On the Butterfield trail, we did have a bit of a scramble up a waterfall with some green slime. I wish I had videoed MrNomer doing a layback here. It was steeper than the photo portrays.

Water was another matter. Since we had the option of turning back, we avoided wet feet except for the day we got caught in a thunderstorm. I had wondered whether gaiters would provide any protection—now I know. We turned back from one crossing that was only a few inches deep, but it was at the top of a drop-off and the green rocks didn’t look stable.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
I took a walk around the local mall today... whew, what a hike! :D

(I do enjoy reading about your adventures! A couple of years ago, we did do a bit of the AT... couple of hundred feet... nice!)

I drove to Sam’s Club and I’m beat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts