Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sergio Marchionne is bringing over the immensely popular Fiat Doblo to America as the Ram Promaster City. There aren't too many details known about exactly what North Americans will see when the Ram Promaster City gets here in early 2015, but looking into the accomplishments of this model in Europe and the rest of the world gives plenty of reasons to get excited.

The Doblo has been named the International Van of the Year twice, and has sold more than 1.3 million units worldwide. Overseas, the van is offered in no less than 35 configurations. Between the standard Doblo Cargo, the larger Doblo Cargo Maxi Van, the high-roof Doblo (also available in long-wheelbase form), a chassis cab and flatbed there are plenty of options.

As far as cargo capacity goes, the basic van has 120 cubic feet of space, while the long wheel base high roof Doblo XL has 177 cubic feet of space. Just for you to compare, the 2013 Ford Transit Connect offers up to 129.6 cubic feet for cargo, and the C/V tradesman has 155.5 cubic feet.

A big question for North Americans is what engines will make it over. The passenger Doblo currently gets over four different four-cylinder engine options, ranging from a little 90 hp 1.4-liter up to a 135 hp 2.0-liter; the Doblo Cargo also gets four engine options, including the 1.4-liter gasoline engine and three different diesel powerplants. So there are plenty of options.

When the Ram Promaster City gets released in America in early 2015 it will be entering a competitive segment that already houses the likes of the Ford Transit Connect, Nissan NV200 and the Chevy City Express.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I completely see the resemblance.

With all the success of the Doblo in the rest of the world I am guessing this will be hugely successful in North America. Can you guys see any reason why it wouldn't be?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I completely see the resemblance.

With all the success of the Doblo in the rest of the world I am guessing this will be hugely successful in North America. Can you guys see any reason why it wouldn't be?
Its size is approximately the same as many minivans, and that segment is crowded. If buyers see it as a small commercial vehicle it may do OK, but if viewed as equivalent to a minivan then it's going to have a tougher time.

Unless price is much lower or MPG much higher than a standard small ProMaster, why buy one for commercial use?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't it a cargo van though and not a minivan? If it is competing against minivans then it will not do so well. I just figure if it is doing well everywhere else in the world it should do okay here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Probably the 2.0L gasser, and eventually a 1.6L or 2.0L turbodiesel, would be the engine options in America. Anyway, Fiat is working in a possible replacement for the Dakota based in the Doblo platform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
Moonwalker
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing