Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Never posted - but own 2015 Promaster 3.0L Turbo diesel 58K miles. Stranded 400 miles from home 2 months ago in LIMP and still not fixed. #1 ETC Light comes on along with Check Engine light - we continue our trip - key on/off removes ETC but only for a while (20 miles or so sometimes longer)
#2 DPF light starts coming on - not always staying on - we are at high elevation but most days driving at 65 or so for more than 30mins. some areas to get to camping are slower winding and steep - we decide we better start back to TX
#3 ETC stays on but 400miles from home starts flashing and LIMP 20 miles into Lubbock - Autozone OBD reader gives P06950 (cooling fan low voltage) and P2463 (DPF soot)... take to dealer - they show P2463 and tell me they ran active REGEN 3 times and did not work 150% full - need new DPF to tune of $5000.... I said no and shipped van back home to SA for $600
#4 I removed DPF and had it professionally cleaned (baked) - got papers saying 126g removed - company told me they did not think it was that clogged, if at all and this amount was pretty much "maintenance level" in their opinion - $250 plus $250 for Particulate sensor I had to replace because I broke nut removing.
#5 Because I could not get PMC to reset I took to local dealer who told me they could not either and that they would not even do a REGEN because the P0695 would not allow it (so how did Lubbock dealer do 3?)
#6 Local dealer states bad cooling fan must be replace for $1500 before they can really reset and find what is going on (cost $350 to fid that out)
#7 I called FCA when I found out that the cooling fan had been recalled on my exact Model Promaster and they refused to replace because my VIN was not on their list !!!!!!
#8 so I am in the middle of replacing the cooling fan myself ($180) and I am asking y'all what do you think my next steps should be????

Thanks - Jerry (Locosan)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The ETC light will be activated if you use the throttle and brake at the same time- don’t ever do that! The cooling fan was recalled on the diesel so you should investigate that further. I received a recall notice on my 2015 1500, 136” diesel. The DPF light is invoked if you do not allow a complete regeneration several times, such as when short distance driving. Your 65 mph driving should have let it regen if you ran for an hour or more. All dealers should be able to invoke a regeneration but your code interfering I don’t know about.
Check the wiring harness and grounds on the cooling fan as you replace it and the connectors on the DEF system and DPF. There have been corrosion issues and replaced wiring harnesses on those systems.
If your DPF was not plugged (according to the cleaners) then the sensor(s) is suspect, have you changed the upstream and down stream sensors (I believe it works as a differential measurement)?
There is a federal warrantee on the emissions system and a responsibility for FCA to fix it!
Call Ram customer assist 866-726-4636
You should not have posted a question on your first post- that is an introduction only. I answered because you need help, Good luck keep us posted.

Reactions: johnnybesurfing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sorry for not knowing etiquette here but as you see I am at my wits end -- I am aware of all that you have responded. and will check all of the harnesses etc when I get there. REGEN should have been occurring - even though I have not done the brake/throttle thing - I believe that is indicative of how poorly the PCM is programmed but nothing I can do about that.
The Federal warranty is no longer valid for this vehicle because the feds have lowered the time on the warranty...under Heavy Duty vehicles - the Promasters do not fall under (light duty) the 8yr/80000 miles as they all have GVWR of over 8500. (and that has been lowered to 5yrs too) - so I am out of luck there.
Whenever I ask about why the ETC light does not throw a code I am told they don't know or they say the Coolant Fan is causing the ETC to come on. - I have had no overheating either.
As for the recall - I have been on the phone twice with supervisors at FCA and they insist they can do nothing because my VIN is NOT on the list even though they recognize that my Promaster is exact to what they recalled.... the VIN has to be on the list is all I get back.

- I am saving sensor check til after fan change because that sounds to me like a real thing happening.. also the DPF only comes on for a couple blocks and goes off - followed by ETC light coming on and then LIMP - have only driven it to dealer and back since getting home.
I think if I change fan and get someone (wish I could find a non dealer) to delete Erase whatever it's called then it would allow the PCM to do a REGEN and see that the DPF is clean or cleaned

does that make sense -?
Really appreciate your response - Jerry

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Makes sense. Keep us updated if I think of anything else it might be I’ll post. Sounds like you are ahead of my knowledge anyway. Best luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again - quick update - LIMP mode Problem fixed just by replacing the cooling fan myself (one that FCA should have replaced for me as it was recalled). This solved all problems - so I saved $5000 from one dealer that told me I needed a new DPF - NOT. And saved $1500 - for replacing the cooling fan by doing it myself - relatively easy. I am now composing a complaint letter that I will send to FCA / NHTSA / EPA / and 2 Ram dealers to try and get reimbursed for some wrong diagnostics and for the cooling fan.... Only Thing Left is to Erase Check Engine Light. I do not have a OBD Scanner - any suggestions? Thanks - Jerry (locosan)

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Most auto parts stores will do it for free

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - my auto zone would read but not erase - I got my son in law to come over - he has an old Actron I think it is called and he erased all codes and the promaster is officially fixed. does stayed off yay !

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
So limp mode can be initialed by a bad fan? I guess it makes sense that if the fan is bad you need to limp to repair but I would never have come up with that solution from the symptoms. Thanks!
Order this for Apple phone and download ODBFusion from the app store:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for your write up. I also own a 2015 diesel. Currently no problems and my build date excludes it from the fan recall. Good information! Let us know if anything else crops up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks y'all - Hey RD - I looked at one of your posts about fusion which I think is software so what do you use to plug in?
2much - I am going to try and make a case this should be included in the recall - heck it was blowing fuses and the dealer said it was the motor causing it that's why they said it needed changing (that can lead to a safety issue and what the recall was for as far as I can tell

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Any ELM 327 wifi ODB2 dongle for Apple, or ELM bluetooth dongle for Android.
Yes Fusion is the software to read the ELM dongle ODB2 codes and reset from Apple app store, Torque is a good one for Android from Google play store
Examples:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great appreciate it. ready to hit the road and get north - next 5 days over 100 here in SA. wish Canada would open up haha -locosan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any ELM 327 wifi ODB2 dongle for Apple, or ELM bluetooth dongle for Android.
Yes Fusion is the software to read the ELM dongle ODB2 codes and reset from Apple app store, Torque is a good one for Android from Google play store
Examples:
Hi RD - Fusion guys are telling me that they do not yet have "advanced diagnostics" for Ddge Ram but are working on it -- but Fusion has given you enough info to help right? - I got a VeePeak on the way and will download fusion -- hoping I may be able to monitor DPF sensor temps etc to make sure Regen is working.. is this one of the things you did? Thanks Jerry

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I could not do some things I thought would be good to be able to do like to trigger a regen, but could get the codes and reset them. I never had any serious codes or limp mode etc. There may be more capable software now. ODB Fusion does have a large library of PIDs and they are being written all the time.
AlfaODB is much more capable I hear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks - this jives with what their support said - I am getting it - appreciate all your help and the people on the Forum are very helpful - think I will stick around.

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
279 Posts
Just brought my van in for the fan shaking and making noise during regen they just called me they're telling me the fans are shot and the fan assembly is on national backorder and not to drive it for a MONTH I have an extended warranty so I'm covered but a month out on the fan assembly that's crazy. Also my van was not included in the recall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those cooling fans have been recalled though they would not fix mine on real because they said my VIN# was not on the list. what BS.... they wanted 1500 to replace. - I bought 1 for 171 and put in myself - pretty easy - just followed the you tube on it. If the fan is not coming in be sure and check the fuse too (mine was blown but it kept blowing - duh recall?? please report to EPA site and NHTSA.gov -- all complaints will help hopefully. good luck
your OBD reader is probably showing P06950 (cooling fan low voltage) at least mine did. which keeps the DPF from doing a Regen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fixing my post - should say if the cooling fan is not coming ON.
also sorry I did not see your last line that they would not fix on recall. what bunch of bull

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
279 Posts
Those cooling fans have been recalled though they would not fix mine on real because they said my VIN# was not on the list. what BS.... they wanted 1500 to replace. - I bought 1 for 171 and put in myself - pretty easy - just followed the you tube on it. If the fan is not coming in be sure and check the fuse too (mine was blown but it kept blowing - duh recall?? please report to EPA site and NHTSA.gov -- all complaints will help hopefully. good luck
your OBD reader is probably showing P06950 (cooling fan low voltage) at least mine did. which keeps the DPF from doing a Regen.
Thanks Loco I've been following this thread lots of good info on the fuse blowing then showing a DPF issue funny Rock Auto is showing MOPAR fan assembly available

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought this 3rd party from carparts.com
Part Name
Tracking
RD16090001 x 1

Cooling Fan Assembly​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts