Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Made the border crossing today at Algadones, Mexico, near Yuma AZ. Crossing was super simple and after a four hour drive we are now in San Felipe on Baja's eastern coast. Only one military checkpoint so far. Absolutely no issues with gasoline supply or safety!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Only real problem I've had in Baja so far - finding enough bandwidth to upload photos. Will keep trying but suspect that updates to this thread will be spotty.

I've done a good deal of "off the main roads" driving so far. One 50+ mile drive on gravel/sand/rock/mud plus several water obstacles where I averaged a whopping 12mph. The ProMaster has handled everything so far, although I did loose a mudflap going through some deep mud. If you want to test the limits of your vehicle and your driving skills, Baja is a good testing ground.

Gas has been around $4 a gallon, no supply problems. Campsites have ranged from free to $15. Numerious police/military checkpoints. The little town of San Ignacio has been the highlight so far! The US dollar is universally accepted, BUT you get more bang for that dollar if you get pesos from a bank ATM.

More to come - internet access permitting. Right now it's cerveza time! ����

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great pics ! I like the one with the dude in the cabana caving in to the pressure !
Got a question though , how's the dust intrusion in the interior ? While poking around my PM I'm finding a lot of "gaps". Loose fitting plugs , chambers , unsealed joints.
Again thanks for the pic's , maybe someday it'll stop raining up here.Maybe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the pics. Looks like a fun trip. I can sit here at my computer and live vicariously through your posts :) Great looking van build btw.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a question though , how's the dust intrusion in the interior ?
Has not been a serious problem for me - I do get some dust around the rear door seal if it was a particularly dusty road. I think "dust intrusion" has been discussed in another thread and I seem to remember that the major culprit was a improperly adjusted rear door latch.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A few more "off the main road" pictures - out to the San Javier Mission and beyond. The "beyond" part was a challenging drive, which is hard to show (and appreciate) in photos - we were told it was 4WD only.

Airing up (from 30psi) as we prepare to rejoin pavement.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Wow! I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy Steve! I come by it naturally. My first car was a 1948 Willys Jeep.
PS - I was in San Felipe 47 years ago. Probably hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well my penchant for "off the main road" excursions finally overwhelmed my ProMaster. We left Mex1 in search of a primitive beach campsite I had read about - just 70 miles (or so) of the usual Baja gravel/sand/rock road. The "road", we soon learned, was part of the Baja 500 course and not for the faint of heart. Over six hours of wandering neted us two impassable (for us) sections - one of which necessitated nearly 3/4 of a mile backing back down the "road" before we could turnaround! The day ended with us on a bluff overlooking the Pacific - with nowhere to go! Camped on the bluff overnight (free) and made our way back to pavement the next day, less than an hour later we left the asphalt - hey, I just can't help it. ��

It's a lot steeper than it looks in these photos, with about 10 inches of "talcum powder" sand over rock. You can see a video of my third attempt at http://www.takethelongway.us/2017/02/two-baja-tales.html

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well my penchant for "off the main road" excursions finally overwhelmed - hey, I just can't help it. ?

It's a lot steeper than it looks in these photos, with about 10 inches of "talcum powder" sand over rock.]
Wow, Steve. You're travelers after our hearts . . . . however, after the depicted "reversing muffler" episode pictured here, the co-pilot offers lots of 'commentary' whenever the wheels leave the pavement (or as she might put it, 'leave the road'):

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am SUPER HAPPY to see your van on these types of backcountry roads. Are you using the OE tires or did you change them out? Keep up with the photos!
I'm now running Cooper AT3 245/70/16 tires - aired down to 30psi on the worst of these Baja roads. I do think the slightly wider tire and the more aggressive tread help in these difficult situations.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The AT3s are excellent tires - I have them on my Sprinter now. Relatively aggressive, but they ride very nice on the highway and no issue with MPG. Up here you can get them at Fleet Farm and when both Cooper and Fleet Farm have a rebate, they are actually cheap.

Chris

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Nice work, Steve! In Baja surprisingly the roads are great. You have to seek out the off road adventures. Further south you can't find decent roads. El Salvador and Honduras the road is like a mine field. I feel our all terrain tires are one of the reasons we have yet to get stuck. 245 75r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts