Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Steve,

I've seen the questions on electrical, heating, awnings, mileage, and other stuff, but I'm a bit curious on something else.

How's the cassette toilet working out for ya? How many days of steady use are you getting before needing to empty it?

Have seen very few, if any, cassette toilet installations in the US, even having scoured the various van forums for awhile now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steve,

I've seen the questions on electrical, heating, awnings, mileage, and other stuff, but I'm a bit curious on something else.

How's the cassette toilet working out for ya? How many days of steady use are you getting before needing to empty it?

Have seen very few, if any, cassette toilet installations in the US, even having scoured the various van forums for awhile now.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I really like your build!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
Steve,

Twelve days would be about average for me. My last trip (40 days) I emptied the cassette three times. Now a reality check - the cassette toilet is like any other piece of equipment, it depends on how you use it. For me (and remember I'm solo most of the time) it's used for emergencies, when other options are not available, and for convienance. It is NOT my first and only choice when the need arises, with the most frequent usage being at night and during bad weather. Also, my conversion was specifically designed to operate without hookups and doesn't spend a lot of time in areas where dump sites are common, so the cassette made sense - you can dump anyplace that has a toilet. It's also easier (IMHO) and more sanitary than dealing with the tanks/valves/hoses of a traditional black water system. In short, I like the system a lot - it works for me.

Why aren't more cassette toilets installed in the US? First is cost, it's not the cheapest option out there ($400). Then availability, not the easiest item to source. Also, it might NOT be the best choice for most (especially a van conversion). Everything we do when converting a van is a trade off - we all have our individual priorities (important to me, doesn't even make it onto your list) so even the greatest piece of equipment must meet a specific need or it will not make it into our dream machine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brilliant. Great pics. Very thorough. I have a 7.5 gallon black water tank in my current Saratoga camper van and would rather have a 5.5 gallon cassette or portapotti like I had in my last poptop van. As you stated. You can dump into any toilet.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
I have used a Separett toilet (Villa model) at my cabin for 2 years. I can attest that there is no odor so long as the fan is kept going constantly and is vented well away from the living area. How feasible is this in a van?

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is another option. For several years I have used bag type disposable poop bags from cleanwaste.com in both a camping van and on my boat. They are simply disposed in the municipal trash which is legal anyplace baby diapers can be tossed. The bag within a bag is the secret as the bottom of the larger bag is placed in the smaller, heaver bag when set up. After multiple uses the clean edges of the larger inner bag are rolled into the outer bag and which is zip locked. Hands never get dirty. I think there is a video on the Clean Waste web site.

The foldable portable toilet from Clean Waste is not good. I make my own using a 10 gallon bucket and a full size elongated household seat with lid. I modify the bucket top by cutting a big hole and attaching the seat to the top. The edges of the bag are held under the edge of the top. Clean Waste also sells Poo Powder which is a desiccant for gelling the waste and for odor control. The bags are pre charged with some but adding extra after each use keeps things pleasant when using the bag for multiple uses.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,124 Posts
I have used a Separett toilet (Villa model) at my cabin for 2 years. I can attest that there is no odor so long as the fan is kept going constantly and is vented well away from the living area. How feasible is this in a van?
This is Gordon's composting toilet for his small RV along with several years of experience using it on the road -- http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Water/RVCompostToilet/RVCompostToilet.htm

I'm going to try something similar on my conversion.

Also thinking about this one -- it seems well made and gets good reviews, but not exactly cheap: http://natureshead.net/

Gary

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
This is Gordon's composting toilet for his small RV along with several years of experience using it on the road -- http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Water/RVCompostToilet/RVCompostToilet.htm

I'm going to try something similar on my conversion.

Also thinking about this one -- it seems well made and gets good reviews, but not exactly cheap: http://natureshead.net/

Gary
You want a urine separating toilet if you are going the "composting" route. Otherwise you will have an odor problem. Nature's Head and Separett are currently the best urine separating "composting" toilet options.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I don't see the problem. You just plug it in like any other appliance and vent it to the outside. Pretty simple, actually.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Steve, I just reviewed the youtube video of your build. Each time I watch it I find something new. I have noticed the catches Robert used for the cabinet doors. Very cool. I just went to the web looking for them and can't find anything like them. Do they have a maker's name on them? As a builder of house cabinet I checked and I don't see such a thing. Any leads?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Oops I failed to mention that Southco has a similar looking catch here but it is pop out then turn to open. Yours look like pop out to unlatch then pull to open push to latch? Did miss something? Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Oops I failed to mention that Southco has a similar looking catch here but it is pop out then turn to open. Yours look like pop out to unlatch then pull to open push to latch? Did miss something? Thanks
The drill - when you push the knob it pops out (latch still engaged) - then you need to twist the knob and pull to open the door/drawer - when you close the door/drawer it latches, but the knob stays out (but latch engaged) until depressed.

Don't know if this is the exact latch I have, but this place seems to have several choices http://www.uglyfishinc.com/southco-marine-cabinet-and-compartment-latches-p/m1-2a-1x-x.htm

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
121 - 140 of 148 Posts