Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have been lurking on the forum for a couple months deciding on what size ProMaster to buy and if I have enough courage to do a full DIY build. Well, I purchased a 136" High roof, Gas, White from Larry Miller in Boise. Got 18 MPG driving it back to Salem into a strong headwind, not bad. I got a good price with all the rebates since they thought I was buying it as a work rig.
Planning on a bike/ski build with a rear garage for bikes/gear and a bed above,
front facing bench, driver side galley. Otherwise I am planning a propane/solar build similar to the Builditsolar van. Next stop, Home depot!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Boise to Salem... down the Columbia? I'd expect nothing less than a strong headwind. ;)

Be sure to start up a thread for documenting your build, especially with pictures. We love pictures!

Gotta say, its getting tough reading about folks going out and picking up vans and driving them home. Its not making the wait for our custom-ordered van any easier. *sigh*

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, this is a test and progress update. I've had the van a month and a thousand miles. Driving impressions; the tires are really hard, I let 15 lbs out and will re- eval, probably need Michelins. Throttle (gas) and brakes are very good. Oversteer comes on kind of sudden, plan to lower after build and add sway bar. Maybe there will be something aftermarket suspensions-wise soon. Headlights are OK, ordered HID's before I found out what a hassle they are to install, put yellow PIAA's in the fogs. Debadged. I like the looks of the Fiat ducato hubcaps. Just turned in my Fiat 500 off lease. Mileage is acceptable, 18-20 mpg. Thinking K&N and an exhaust change, still a tuner. Working on the layout, starting at the back and working forward. Twin bed aboveand bike garage below take up the same depth(both crosswise) 38". Bench seat/ pull out bed next with batteries,propane, water(15 gal),pump, inverter and solar controller underneath. Galley with 44" counter height for lots of storage behind driver. Fridge, microwave, grey water, furnace, drawers, cutting board, media, subwoofer...I will post some layout sketches soon for feedback, now for a couple pics
Well, maybe not tonight, I will work on the photo upload later and move this link to the conversion page.

·
Registered
886 Posts
What tires do you have? Someone here reported the Nexen tires ride like Michelin.

It's also been reported the stock air filter is massive commercial size. Might have so much CFM capacity K&N would be less CFM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts