Ram Promaster Forum banner

The 136WB "Now accepting name applications" Built Thread

9K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Alexx 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a surprisingly poor job of documenting my build as I went, but wanted to at least show off the finished project. After previously owning an extra long Class B Sprinter, I wanted something that was more nimble for driving around the city and flexible enough to haul things, since I sold my truck to cover the costs. We ended up throwing a baby in to the mix, so we had to add another seat. Here are a few of the highlights:

• Custom welded aluminum 2 piece bed frame that's easy to remove. It sits on 2 aluminum rails that are mounted to a custom steel c-channel cross member.
  • Installed l-track along each side of the van to mount the 3rd seat and kitchen galley to. I used the Base Fab mounts to use an old Sienna seat that is removed with a simple 4 bolts. The galley l-track runs the length of the cabinet and bolts to the l track in multiple places.
  • Webasto Heater installed under the passenger seat
  • 100AH Battle Born lithium battery powered system (lights, fan, sink pump, fridge, USB outlets, heater)
  • Insulated with 3M thinsulate throughout
This is emptied out, but there's usually a car seat installed, and we've been using a pack and play that peeks out from under the bed for him to sleep. Our baby is only 8 months now, so we'll likely need to evolve a bit as he gets older. Van trips sure have gotten different since he was born, but it's been fun taking it slow and exploring new spots you wouldn't stop when he's had it with his car seat.

Anyway, it's pretty small and basic, but I hope it's some inspiration for folks or spurs some new ideas. give a shout with any questions!

See less See more
#3 ·
That's what I was initially thinking and Accuride makes a two way slider, but then I'd have to have a flush drawer front and having it lock out be tricky. Instead of solving these issues, I just went basic to get up and running. I really have a missed opportunity using the back side of the galley, so open to any ideas!

#6 ·
Could you give details about your fridge drawer design? Slides? Locking mechanism? Attachment of fridge to drawer? Which fridge?

Thanks for the post! I love the look of your galley!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It's the Dometic CFX 50W fridge. I just used 250lb drawer slides attached to a drawer I built with Southco locking latches. The latch is attached to the divider above, but it's just a little too flimsy, so I gotta come up with a way to reinforce so it really feels solid like the drawer above. I bought a couple of lashing straps to attach the fridge handles to the drawer base, but haven't installed yet.

#11 ·
Name? gee that’s hard. Perhaps “White van with two doors and a third seat camper” On second thought that’s too long. Maybe call it “the Van” thats the name of ours but we will share.

#26 · (Edited)
Name? Maybe call it “the Van” thats the name of ours but we will share.
When I had just one van it was "the van". Then came "the short van". After that it got progressively more complicated: the white van, the green van, the Previa, the Sprinter, etc. The PM posed a dilemma, as "the ProMaster" has too many syllables and "the white van" was already taken, so it became Vanna White. First time I ever gave a vehicle a proper name, although I believe someone else beat me to it.

I also have the red tractor, the yellow tractor, the orange tractor, and more.

Don't get me started on motorcycles.

#27 ·
Don’t ya just love a device powered by internal combustion. Just can't get enough.

The small scooter the big scooter, the antique, the green tractor, the red tractor, the GS, the Miata, the 4Runner, the Van!

#28 ·
I have a gray van, blue tractor and yellow lawnmower.
I'm good.
Had a green motorcycle a while back.
Scratched that itch and got rid of it before I hurt myself.
Never been a car guy, or much of a vehicle/toy collection kinda guy.
Tools? That's a different story. I may have a bit of a problem. But I do use them. So it's justified, right?

#29 ·
This looks great and you‘ve done some things very similar to how we are building. I’ve got some questions if you have time.

Which foam did you use to back your fabric?
I was looking at Perfect Fit, good experience with them?
Did you use something like 3M77 or a different glue?
Where did you get your coin flooring and how did you glue it to the back cabinets?

Finally, I see at least one familiar sticker. How much time do spend in McCall, ID?

#32 ·
We used the 1/8" foam and glued down using the DAP spray-able glue (Amazon.com: Dap Weldwood Contact Adhesive - Landau Top and Trim HHR Solvent Type Spray Grade 1 Gallon: Home Improvement) and a cheap sprayer (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MQ9BU2). I highly recommend that setup and got the fabric, foam and glue from Perfect Fit and everything went smooth for us.

I got the coin flooring here: G-Floor Small Coin Garage Floor Mats with Enhanced Traction I mostly used 3M 90 to glue it to the cabinet, but it hasn't working perfectly. This summer it was really wanting to lift on the face and I've slowly been trying to find solutions to keep it glued down tight. Hopefully I can figure that out this year.

We typically find ourselves up in McCall at least once a summer for one reason or another. We're from Boise originally, but up in Seattle now. There's always a wedding or family get together that allows us to swing through!

#35 ·
Do you know the year range for the Sienna seats you used? Are they second row seats...driver or pass-side? I'm looking to do a setup a lot like yours for my son. Base Fab isn't making Sienna seat adapters anymore either.

Nice build, by the way. We just picked up our van this weekend and I've been contemplating how to make it nice inside without going as far as many do with the build out. Foam-backed carpeted panels were on my mind last night, and low-and-behold I come across your build today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.