Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was snowing in Michigan and pretty good at that so I went to the dealer and drove about 6 miles on roads that you could not see the pavement below. I was throughly impressed with the traction that the PM had. It was about 14 degrees outside at the time of my drive so salt was not anywhere to be found but only slick roads and the PM shot out from the lights much better than I had expected. I have drove plenty of front wheel drive vehicles in the past and truthfully this handled as well if not better. I drove my 2500 Express RWD to the dealer with #300 of sand in the back plus all my tools and was on pins and needles all the way there and back, 50 mile round trip. One thing that I may turn off and that is just because I never liked it in any vehicle is the traction control but truthfully it most likely made it hook up better from the stop, I just don't really like the feeling of not being in control of the gas pedal.

I sat in one with the bulkhead and I'm 6-0 with short legs but it was mighty restrictive. When I complained about it to the salesman he said why its up so far is not to impede on the 49" they say is the side door opening. I will get one from Sortimo that has a setback of about 7".

I would have to give this van a 5 star in snow handling but that is expected in a front wheel drive vehicle.

Traction or not either way I was going to the dealer on Monday to place an order for a 2500, high roof, 159" w.b. almost fully loaded but knowing that this van is a traction hog is a plus.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drove my pm today in the snow in Maryland. Handled real good,I have a long steep driveway and it went right up. I turned off traction control before I went up driveway. Did not want any problems. My old sprinter van could not make it up a snow covered driveway and barely made it any where in the snow. Very very pleased with the pm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I drove my pm today in the snow in Maryland. Handled real good,I have a long steep driveway and it went right up. I turned off traction control before I went up driveway. Did not want any problems. My old sprinter van could not make it up a snow covered driveway and barely made it any where in the snow. Very very pleased with the pm.
Same here. I too live on a hill and drive a sprinter. The only way it goes anywhere in the snow is with snow chains. I'm looking forward to my Promaster.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to chain up a PM? Clearances look tight!
From Owners Manual: (page 242)
TIRE CHAINS (TRACTION DEVICES)
Use of traction devices require sufficient tire-to-body
clearance. Follow these recommendations to guard
against damage.
• Traction device must be of proper size for the tire, as
recommended by the traction device manufacturer.
• Install on Front Tires Only
• Tire chains for a 225/75R16 tire with a Quality Chain
Corp Light Truck Highway Service (Non-Cam) tire
chain or equivalent is recommended.

Yes, clearances are fairly tight on the PM. I'm not sure that a lot of the more "traditional" tire chains would fit. I choose to get a chain that was in the "S Class" of tire chains. These are for close tire clearance vehicles as specified by vehicle manufacturers. (of course the PM owners manual doesn't specify that, just lists a vague reference to one model of chain from one company...:( )

From etrailer.com:

Class S Designation
SAE Class S tire chains are designed for use on vehicles with restricted wheel well clearance. Certain newer cars, vans and small trucks, especially those with large, aftermarket tires, may require the use of Class S chains.

These chains will fit your tires provided there is both:
A - a minimum of 1.46" (37 mm) between the top of the tire tread and the wheel well
B - at least 0.59" (15 mm) between the tire's sidewall and the vehicle itself

Not all tire chains are tested to this standard. It is possible, therefore, that a chain with a 15-millimeter clearance or smaller will fit your limited-clearance vehicle even if the chain does not have a Class S designation.

After researching all of this I chose a pair of Thule's XG 12 Pro's:

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/snow-chains/snow-chains/van-and-rv/thule-xg-12-pro-225-_-04705225

While I don't think they are anything near HD enough to withstand frequent or all day use someone would need to travel all day I think something like this is a pretty good choice for when a winter/snow rated tire won't get me to where I need to be...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I drove my PM with a 3,000 lbs trailer in a snow storm on the interstate. The PM drove so well and very confident! GREAT VAN !

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks to all for the positive input on the PM in snow....I was getting a bit worried! Still about four weeks out ( I hope ) to delivery!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I spent the last 3 days driving in snow and ice..... My van seemed glued to the road. I have never driven a van this stable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've driven mine several times in the snow and it's much better than my last van. Even when it had snow tires! A ProMaster with snow tires should be really good in the snow.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Seems to me that chains would be complete overkill. Get a set of real snow tires if it's that bad. With Blizzaks and the PM, you are already better than 98% of on the road.

Mine has the stock Vancos, and they are ok. The van is okay in the few snows I've had it in. Compared to a RWD van or a truck, it's freakin' stellar, but compared to a FWD car it's just good. I think the real problem is the throttle mapping, which was already too aggressive right off the line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
Kip-on-truckin
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing