Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
169 Posts
The only other dilemma is the corner trim of the interior door panel... I might have to shave some of that back as well because not the size of the window, but the frame for the shade/screen assembly.

Jrosser- I’m curious how you dealt with that. Hard to tell from the interior view photo.

·
Premium Member
2018 - 136" HR
169 Posts
Ah, copy that... I wonder if the multi tool will still do the trick. If not I can return it... just picked it up this morning. I do not own a Dremel. Maybe do the ol’ switcheroo

And just with keeping this thread on track: I can also attest to the service at Tern. Very personable and communicative folk.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,098 Posts
Both the oscillating saw and the dremel are tools that I would not have guessed how useful they would be. Not tools I use every day, but when I need them they are the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am looking for tern window for my sliding door. Already see that a 450x1100 would fit but I am wondering as for the depth. I would like to order the 44-54 depth so that I get the maximum isolation that I can get... but I wonder if the sliding door would still open fine with the shade /*screen assembly over the window without getting stuck at the wall of the van... Any ideas ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used the x900 because that was all that was available. I wish I had the 1100s. As you can see from my 500mm height, 550 would be a tiny bit too tall, so probably best to stick with 450s.

For all the hemming and hawing that I did, the windows were one of the easiest things to do.
From what I see, the Tern windows are not tinted. Is that an issue? Has anyone tinted them?

·
Registered
2018 3500 Ext
169 Posts
I am looking for tern window for my sliding door. Already see that a 450x1100 would fit but I am wondering as for the depth. I would like to order the 44-54 depth so that I get the maximum isolation that I can get... but I wonder if the sliding door would still open fine with the shade /*screen assembly over the window without getting stuck at the wall of the van... Any ideas ?

Thanks!
Does anyone know the answer to this question? I thinking of ordering both sides... perhaps the thicker trim kit for the drivers side and the 35-44 kit for the slider? Isn't it better to be a little slimmer on that side with the slider? Also, anyone know about a set of terns on the rear doors, since my van doesn't have any glass there. Anyone put some terns on those? What trim is best on the rear?
PS... Seems others think these Tern types aren't best for the rear doors... Motion or CRL has the others.

·
Registered
2018 3500 Ext
169 Posts
are they tinted as much as the factory rear glass is?
Are the windows tinted? Can I tint them?

The windows are lightly tinted, and can be described as a "light smoke gray". The windows can not be further tinted, as it may trap gas between the acrylic and the tint, and damage the windows. Remember a blackout shade is included to offer full privacy!

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
2,155 Posts
@marcksv I went with the thicker ones:

The windows clear the body well when opening the doors.

If I had to do it again (again) I think I would go with the thinner ones.

The thick ones worked out in the end, but between the thick wood frame combined with the screen & shade retractors make it a little more bulky than I'd like.

Keep in mind that the Tern is flat and the ProMaster is curved. In my case, I clamped and glued the ProMaster's body panel to the beefy, flat wood frame to force the body panel flat. Others have used a thicker gasket (hardware store weather stripping probably) to allow the flat Tern window to seal while keeping the ProMaster's body panel in its original curve.

The window opening operation, shade and screen work great. However the shades and screens rattle a lot on our rough gravel road. I need to look at adding some kind of pads or bumpers to calm that rattling down.

Overall, I'm happy with the Tern windows so far.

·
Registered
2018 3500 Ext
169 Posts
The window opening operation, shade and screen work great. However the shades and screens rattle a lot on our rough gravel road. I need to look at adding some kind of pads or bumpers to calm that rattling down.
Have you tried asking Tern for guidance on the rattling? Maybe they've had others report this issue and offered advice?

·
Registered
2018 Promaster 2500 159" High Roof
70 Posts
I really like Artic Tern windows and have now installed 2 of them (both 450 x 1100). #3 (300 x 700) is on the way. I haven't experienced rattling with either, so I suspect a rattle is likely something to do with the install. Here's my install video, in case it is helpful to anyone => Arctic Tern Install in RAM ProMaster

I was on the fence about putting one in the back on the slider side of the van due to being concerned about forgetting it was open when opening the slider would result it taking out the window! However, I came up with a solution for that to keep the slider from fully opening. Will post that video shortly, as soon as done editing.

Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
2014 Promaster 2500, 159"WB
6 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. https://www.promasterforum.com/forums/promasterforum-com-introduction-section.122/ Please be aware until you do make the required introductory
I used the x900 because that was all that was available. I wish I had the 1100s. As you can see from my 500mm height, 550 would be a tiny bit too tall, so probably best to stick with 450s.

For all the hemming and hawing that I did, the windows were one of the easiest things to do.
Thanks for all your great help. How wide and thick is your wooden frame? Did you clamp the van's metal skin to the wood frame's side pieces? If so, how does the outside skin of the van look there? If not, did you use a thinker gasket? I've seen photos of no warpage and some with quite a bit of warpage. I'm thinking of going with the 450 x 1100 and am concerned with distorting the metal skin. I'm also thinking of using the 35-44mm metal ring. What do you think? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts

The windows clear the body well when opening the doors.

If I had to do it again (again) I think I would go with the thinner ones.

The thick ones worked out in the end, but between the thick wood frame combined with the screen & shade retractors make it a little more bulky than I'd like.

Keep in mind that the Tern is flat and the ProMaster is curved. In my case, I clamped and glued the ProMaster's body panel to the beefy, flat wood frame to force the body panel flat. Others have used a thicker gasket (hardware store weather stripping probably) to allow the flat Tern window to seal while keeping the ProMaster's body panel in its original curve.

Overall, I'm happy with the Tern windows so far.
Can you clarify what window you used, the thickness and width of your wooden ring and what size metal interior ring also. Did clamping the van's metal skin to the wooden frames sides cause much distortion. A photo would be great if possible. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. https://www.promasterforum.com/forums/promasterforum-com-introduction-section.122/ Please be aware until you do make the required introductory
450x1100mm window with the 34-44mm trim. I put it right in the slider.
What thickness and width wooden ring did you make? How did you finish the door's interior siding? How much clearance do you have when the door is open? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Here's a picture of the finished product: Window
The door is very well insulated but I never did much else to it, just that to section and around the window.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the photo. I think the 450 x 1100 window looks much better than the 450 x 900 window but I'm worried about warping the skin of the van. From your outside photo on an earlier post of yours I can't tell how much yours warped. Is it very noticeable? Also, do you remember what thickness wooden ring you used? Thanks!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts