Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 3 kids sweatily sweltering in the rear of this tin can I decided the maxxair vent would have to trump (the only time you'll catch me using the word) other projects on the list, namely the house battery system. So where to wire it? Direct to the main battery or should I splice into a 12v line? After installing the vent today I tried to cut it into the rear 12v charger to no avail. From what I've read I'm thinking the brains said "no". I was able to draw some power in the form of constant beeping from the vent unit. Any thoughts? I've future plans to isolate all of the non-critical draws to a house system but in the meantime I'd like to provide my kids at least a little relief. From the heat, they're gonna have to deal with me for a long time.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
Do you want it on when the van is running, or on with 12v regardless of van running?

In other words, power with key on or constant power.

For power on when the van is on, get a 12V lighter plug and splice it to the wire going to the fan then plug it in at the dash outlet or rear outlet.

For constant power, connect the fan to the van battery directly with a fuse in the line.

Either way, be sure + and - are correct going to the fan.

ed

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
If your van has the upfitter’s connector on the base of the passenger’s side pillar then there is power there. It is a $35 option I bought and never used.

Reactions: dnelsonid

·
Registered
155 Posts
I temporarily connected mine directly to the starter battery while I got the rest of the electrical system together.

I ran 14AWG stranded duplex from the battery compartment, beneath the foam floor in the cab, then down the driver's side to the vent fan in the back. Fuse the positive wire as close to the battery as possible using a simple in-line fuse holder from an auto parts store. It only took about 20 minutes total.

-Tyler

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I ended up planning ahead (for once) and buried a 10awg wir,e up one pillar and down another, to a fuse block where I have connected several 14awg wires for a couple of usb/12V outlets, the fan, and a couple runs for "future" projects (see: ceiling and under cabinet lights) Once I got realized that I was not wiring a house (Thank you Huskey Auto Electric tech) and instead a rolling ground I saved a ton of wire by grounding each accessory or run as needed. Learning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts