Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend was the install of my MaxxFan at the back of the van. First 'big' job done. Made a temporary connection to a 12v socket, but its only on with ignition. I don't have a good source of always-on power back there.

So I'm buying a small 5w solar panel to go with a small motorcycle battery that I have sitting around. This will let me actually use the fan while parked until I get the full house solar and electrical system installed.

But I'm stuck with something seemingly obvious... what is a good way to temporarily mount the panel on the roof? (roughly 8"x11") Well, temporary likely being a couple months.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea. Adhesive mount those to the panel, cover the magnet with something to protect the roof paint, then stick on the roof. Could work...

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Bicycle tube to protect paint I don't know how that will affect holding power . The magnets have holes on the ends so long el brackets could be used. I have some and when placed on a flat metal surface you will need to pry them up or slide them off the edge.
Interesting idea. Adhesive mount those to the panel, cover the magnet with something to protect the roof paint, then stick on the roof. Could work...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally,, I wouldn't bother with the temporary solar panel. I'd tap into the interior lamps or even run a wire from the fuse box first, then just reuse that wire in your final build. A 5w panel is super tiny and while good for something like a cell phone or a small LED light it's far too little to keep a battery for a fan charged.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Personally,, I wouldn't bother with the temporary solar panel. I'd tap into the interior lamps or even run a wire from the fuse box first, then just reuse that wire in your final build. A 5w panel is super tiny and while good for something like a cell phone or a small LED light it's far too little to keep a battery for a fan charged.
I agree. I ran a wire with an inline fuse straight to the cab battery. Simple.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
This last weekend was the install of my MaxxFan at the back of the van. First 'big' job done. Made a temporary connection to a 12v socket, but its only on with ignition. I don't have a good source of always-on power back there.

So I'm buying a small 5w solar panel to go with a small motorcycle battery that I have sitting around. This will let me actually use the fan while parked until I get the full house solar and electrical system installed.

But I'm stuck with something seemingly obvious... what is a good way to temporarily mount the panel on the roof? (roughly 8"x11") Well, temporary likely being a couple months.
Hi,
If you do run it off a small solar panel, you may want more than a 5 watt panel.

It looks like the MaxxFan pulls about 2 amps at a medium speed, so about 24 watts. If you wanted to run it for (say) 3 hours, that would be 3*24 = 72 watt-hrs.

The 5 watt panel might produce about 25 watt-hrs in a full day of good sun. A rule of thumb for estimating solar panel output per day is to assume 5 hrs at the PV panel rating -- so, (5 hr)(5 watts) = 25 watt-hrs as full day output (roughly).
So, the 5 watt panel would only be good for about an hour of run time -- maybe less when you consider the inefficiences in the battery charge/discharge cycle and a little self discharge on the battery.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts