Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got our 1500 high roof and want to try out a few different setups before making any final permanent decisions. Is it unreasonable to use 1 1/2" 1000lb load tie downs in an x pattern from the mid wall tie down points with a half inch piece of plywood to suspend a bed in the back? I'm understanding that the tie down points have a 1000 lb rating and the tie downs do as well. Hoping that this can be a quick easy way to see how this setup will work for us on our first trip in the van. Any concerns with this approach?

I'm assuming the pillars will be able to support the weight that will be placed on the tie down points without doing any damage to the van but want to see what others think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When you run a strap horizontally and place a load in the center, the tension on the strap is much higher than it would be if you were to suspend the same load vertically. For example, if you put a 200# weight in the center of a horizontal strap, so that the strap flexes downward at about 5 degrees, the effective tension would be 1,149#, according to my rigging handbook. The tension would be higher if you tightened the ratchets. You might get away with it, but you might end up with regrets. If you can figure out a quick-and-easy way to support the mattress on a platform, that would be safer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a couple of 2x4's bolted to the tie downs, a few 2x4 cross pieces then the plywood? about $15 in 2x4s, plus the plywood sheet... less than an hour to build = no worries
What is the best procedure for bolting to the tie down points? If possible we would like the bed to be a little higher but I rather not be drilling new holes into the van just yet until we get a chance to use a bit and decide exactly what we want.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a chassis-cab PM, so I am a little uncertain about the structure of the vans, but, from pictures, it looks like there is a horizontal frame member 2'-3' above the floor. Perhaps you can cut a few 2x4's to a length that will span the width of the van, resting each end on TOP of that frame member. If you cut them to the right length, then put the plywood on top and screw it to the 2x4's in a few places, they won't be able to slip off. That wouldn't apply any inward or outward pressure to the walls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a chassis-cab PM, so I am a little uncertain about the structure of the vans, but, from pictures, it looks like there is a horizontal frame member 2'-3' above the floor. Perhaps you can cut a few 2x4's to a length that will span the width of the van, resting each end on TOP of that frame member. If you cut them to the right length, then put the plywood on top and screw it to the 2x4's in a few places, they won't be able to slip off. That wouldn't apply any inward or outward pressure to the walls.
This was my original plan but the horizontal frame member is rounded, so I'm not positive how well it will work. I could angle the ends to see if it would work better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is actually an interesting idea. Lowe's has folding tables for less and they are rated to hold 479lbs. Two side by side should be perfect for a full-size mattress. I think this will give us some options to experiment with different setups.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
And space for a campground buffet, or yard sale!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And space for a campground buffet, or yard sale!
Unfortuanately, it looks like both the current Costco and Lowe's versions are unable to clear the wheel wells. They are also too short to rest on the support member with the legs up. So close but not close enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts