Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It seems that everyone is recreating the wheel over and over to make templates of their flooring. I would assume that the flooring template would be the same for each Ram Promaster 2500 (159 wheelbase), at least if the same year.

Perhaps my assumption is wrong but, if it's right, is there someone selling paper templates for each model/year? (p.s. this could be a good business model for someone. I would certainly buy it :)

All the best,
Kelcey

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,239 Posts
I templated my walls, but the floor was quite easy. Here is a link to photos of my floor build.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I templated my walls, but the floor was quite easy. Here is a link to photos of my floor build.

Hi RV8R, I guess I'm a little lazy :) If all 159 floors are the same, I was hoping that a paper template of the 159 floor might already exist? I mean a full paper (6' x 12') of the space with all the cut-ins for wheel wheels, etc. Ideally I could just lay down the paper template onto my Polyiso, plywood and marmoleum and carve away. Easy peasy. With so many Promaster conversions out there, I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet (or if it has, please let me know!)

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
955 Posts
No such thing exists because they are so easy to make and essentially disposable to each person. The polyiso is easy to scribe as you install it because it is so light. I'd guess most people just use cardboard to do the plywood. For the marmoleum, you cut the substrate to shape, glue the over sized marmoleum in place and then trim. A router make the trimming flawless and quick, but you can do it with a sharp knife.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,239 Posts
The wall panels are a different story & I made templates for those (photos on my build thread). The ceiling and floor “fitment“ as @ThomD & I have stated are pretty easy.

There are aftermarket(ers) that produce wall & ceiling panels for the PMs & Sprinter & Transit. In the city I live in, there is a company that CNCs panels & various products for Mercedes (2 years ago they did not do PMs).

Regarding the PM floor; the passenger side floor @ the slider is inline with the remainder of the floor (my main sheet of plywood was large 5’ x 10’ & the positioning of this massive sheet was inline & directly overtop of the edge of the van floor & the cab step down was scribed to fit tight (slight gap to eliminate floor squeaks rubbing against the step down area), & then the wheelwell cut out.

Cutting the 5’ x 10’ & fitting it took less than 1.5hrs (with a helper);

1) reference floor edge @ passenger slider
2) measure & layout perpendicular cab step down area & cut the 5’ front edge of the plywood
3) measure the cab edge to wheelwell & mark / layout the wheelwell & cut it out
4) position the now cut 5’ x 10’ sheet & bolt down

Im my install a template would complicate & produce a worse result than the hard measure & layout process described above. Templates can be very useful, IMO not in this case with hard measuring & layout being very accurate.

YMMV, depending upon design & constructibility of your design. DIYers may not want to wrestle a 3/4” 5’x10’ sheet as they are quite heavy. I designed it this way as I do not have any plywood joints on my “exposed floor” section. My build was to stain & finish this 3/4” BB Plywood as our finished floor “kinda like a hardwood floor - just not tongue & groove”.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,371 Posts
I found the floor easy to do if you buy 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. Each sheet goes crosswise on the floor, and they add up to 12'... just right! Simple cuts in each one and they are ready to go.

I made 2 complete floors, separated by 4.5" floor joist to create my basement. It's easy with some cardboard or even just paper!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts