Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this connector at the bottom of the A pillar. When probing it with my tone tracer and the radio playing, I definitely hear the audio on the heavier of the 2solid yellow wires. I thought it might be the door harness, but the speaker still plays with it disconnected. Can someone confirm if this is a good high level signal for the sub? I also don't know if the radio is a floating ground system so I don't want to connect it wrong.
The first pic is then connector on edge, the 2nd is the wires.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The connector in the above pic is not the correct one. Above that connector is the one that actually feeds all the speakers. I tapped onto those wires to feed a sub and an amp with high level inputs.
Yellow is left and violet is right. I have a camera in the rear (sux driving without a rearview mirror) which is wired to the rear 12v outlet. I use the same 12v to turn on the amp and subwoofer when I start the truck. works great.
If you wanted to add an amp and swap the front speakers out, this would also be the place to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I apologize for "hijacking" your thread.. but a subwoofer is definitely in order for me as well. Mind if I ask what you purchased/used... and where you installed the actual sub? Would love to see some pics

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a BOSS Audio BASS800 and installed it under the driver's seat. It didn't help the underpowered door and pillar speakers, however. I added a crunch amp and hung 2 pinnacle Atlantis 05 Indoor / Outdoor Speakers with brackets from the roof behind the seats I had laying around. 8 gauge feed fused from the battery powers the amps, I used rear power outlet to turn them on with the ignition. Sounds Awesome now using bluetooth from my phones. Stock FM drifts way too much to play loud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The connector in the above pic is not the correct one. Above that connector is the one that actually feeds all the speakers. I tapped onto those wires to feed a sub and an amp with high level inputs.
Yellow is left and violet is right. I have a camera in the rear (sux driving without a rearview mirror) which is wired to the rear 12v outlet. I use the same 12v to turn on the amp and subwoofer when I start the truck. works great.
If you wanted to add an amp and swap the front speakers out, this would also be the place to do that.
Hey B1GBLEU,

I'm trying to install and amp to power both my door speaker/tweeters, and a subwoofer. I'm looking for the right splice point to use speaker level inputs on my amp. Can you clarify where in the Dash you found the harness?

You said 'bottom of the A-pillar.
Is it on the right or left side?
Does it feed power to both sides of the vehicle, or is it necessary to locate a harness on each side? (Looks like its both sides)
Is this a pre-tweeter splice point? Or is it after the OEM crossover point? (Meaning:Is this the signal going to just the door speakers or is it also going to the tweeters?)
Do I need to remove the A-pillar or the lower dash to access it?
Did you confirm if it is a floating ground system?
Did you wire the remote turn on, or did your amp not need it because of the speaker level inputs?

Thanks so much for any help. There is so little information about this stereo wiring out there!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s the passenger side panel right where the hinge for the door is. Pop the panel off and you’ll sell the connector right above the floor. My amp doesn’t have sense to turn on so I ran a wire from the rear aux plug to the amp turn on lead. #6 fused wire from the battery for power and drilled into the floor for ground.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks B1GBLEU. Does it feed both sides of the van? Did you have to take the glove box out, or just the kick panel? I had them both out the other day but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Then, I found your post.

If I disvover anything else useful, I'll add it to this thread.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the side panel where the door harness connects to the fender. pull the saddle from the door, pull the door gasket from the floor to the bottom of glove box and pull the panel off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so I attempted to connect a pair of rear speakers to my 2019 City Tradesman SLT. I was successful in finding the connector in the first and second post but mine matches the first post, not the pic in the second post. I placed a standard DVM from each of these wires to ground but did not see a fluctuating voltage that changed with volume. Because of this, I did not connect my speaker to those since this voltage didn't make sense.

My fade has not been enabled yet as I was unsure of the order in which these steps are taken. Should I go ahead and connect these then enable the rear speakers/fade on the HU?

I also included a pic of my rear speaker setup. These are cheap 6X9 boxes that happen to fit well enough in their current location. The driver's side seat has full motion as long as its adjusted high. The passenger seat does see a little limit in its movement but it still moves far enough AND nobody ever sits there anyway. I doubt the head unit will have enough power to really push these but, if I can get them to work at all then I have an old amp sitting around just waiting for a job. And I may yank these and install some 6X9 Subs instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry B1gBlue, I just realized that both of the first posts were yours and that one corrected the other. (I am a little dense with forum details sometimes)

Anyway, my connector that is supposed to have the rear wires didn't have an many wire on either side as your pic shows. I guess that means I will have to go all the way to the head unit. I am going to have another look, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I attempted to connect a pair of rear speakers to my 2019 City Tradesman SLT. I was successful in finding the connector in the first and second post but mine matches the first post, not the pic in the second post. I placed a standard DVM from each of these wires to ground but did not see a fluctuating voltage that changed with volume. Because of this, I did not connect my speaker to those since this voltage didn't make sense.

My fade has not been enabled yet as I was unsure of the order in which these steps are taken. Should I go ahead and connect these then enable the rear speakers/fade on the HU?

I also included a pic of my rear speaker setup. These are cheap 6X9 boxes that happen to fit well enough in their current location. The driver's side seat has full motion as long as its adjusted high. The passenger seat does see a little limit in its movement but it still moves far enough AND nobody ever sits there anyway. I doubt the head unit will have enough power to really push these but, if I can get them to work at all then I have an old amp sitting around just waiting for a job. And I may yank these and install some 6X9 Subs instead.
Interesting 'full motion" seats. Do they swivel to face the rear? Where did you get the kit? thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts