Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed and replaced the stock stereo yet?
I wonder how easily it comes out.
I have the stock cheap one with no CD or Bluetooth, and id like to put in a double din touch screen and rear speakers.
Please chime in if you have taken the radio out and kindly say 'How To'
Thanks alot

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a set of the radio removal tools taped to the radio code card and sitting on my dash. To date nobody has had the charity to relieve me of my stock Sprinter radio.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set of the radio removal tools taped to the radio code card and sitting on my dash. To date nobody has had the charity to relieve me of my stock Sprinter radio.
hhhmmmmm i never did get a radio code card.
The (s)tealer had to pull the radio to get the code off of it then put it back in, then punch in the code to get it to work. 2 days after I took delivery... wow

·
Registered
96 Posts
That one is not wide enough for the RAM design. I simply used a thick coat hanger, bent it to the correct size and was able to pull the radio quite easily.
I did notice that the radio, even without sat radio, has the sat ratio antenna plugged in.

One thing that drives me crazy about the radio is when you make a phone call and the radio switches to "phone" mode will not return to "radio" mode after the call ends.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used a thick coat hanger and bent it to work. The radio comes out very easily. While I had it out, I checked to see how that stupid clip board is held in. Really easy. Once the radio is removed there are two screws right in the front. Remove those two screws and out pops the clipboard. Not sure what to put in its place, but it does remove easily!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used a thick coat hanger and bent it to work. The radio comes out very easily. While I had it out, I checked to see how that stupid clip board is held in. Really easy. Once the radio is removed there are two screws right in the front. Remove those two screws and out pops the clipboard. Not sure what to put in its place, but it does remove easily!
Yep, quite easy to take out. I have the Uconnect RH3 (Small single DIN radio). Once the radio is pulled out there is an extra step to remove the clipboard. The storage space blocks the clipboard screws so you have to remove it. So once the radio is pulled you'll see two screws at the base of the opening. You have to pull those, then pull the face plate trim and storage space out. Once that's removed you'll see the two clipboard screws.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For those wondering what the back of the Uconnect RH3 radio looks like:

The smaller bundle to the right is the antenna connection. I don't know what all the wires are for. I'm hoping since it does have a fade control that there are wires for the rear speakers in there and that they're already connected to the upfitter connections... If we're lucky?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those wondering what the back of the Uconnect RH3 radio looks like:

The smaller bundle to the right is the antenna connection. I don't know what all the wires are for. I'm hoping since it does have a fade control that there are wires for the rear speakers in there and that they're already connected to the upfitter connections... If we're lucky?

Hey MakeVX..
Thanks for the photos and info...
Say.. howzabout a picture of that what you used to get that stereo out of there..
I can see part of it.
Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey MakeVX..
Thanks for the photos and info...
Say.. howzabout a picture of that what you used to get that stereo out of there..
I can see part of it.
Thanks
Don't have a photo but:

Scosche factory DIN radio removal tool, for ford and import 1986-2011, model DT1 (for Audi, ford, Lincoln, mercury, Mazda, Mercedes, mercury, Porsche, Saab, sterling,Volkswagen)
Scosche's website/catalog said the DT1 was also for ours.

The wire is actually a bit big to fit in the holes on the radio but I just twisted them in nice and easy one at a time then inserted the tool as directed. Worked fine, only had to insert in about a half inch to release the clips.

Got it on Amazon, think it was $4.95

It also has another set of tools for Euro DIN radios.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone still wondering what you can use to take out radio I got an idea for you. I used a small Allen key and a straight small "dental pick" style tool and it worked fine. All I had to work with at the time. I used both tools in same side and gently pulled one side at a time and it easily came out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also that small bundle of wires on back of radio? I bought a double din radio and harness but it doesn't have a place for the white antenna connector to go. What do I do with it? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bringing this back from the grave to ask some questions. I bought a uconnect for my stock radio and took out the stock and realized that the plugs were different... the backup cam plug is not the same and the antenna plug is different. Anyone else done this? any help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also that small bundle of wires on back of radio? I bought a double din radio and harness but it doesn't have a place for the white antenna connector to go. What do I do with it? Thanks

Mr312... I have the same question about the smaller white antenna wire bundle. What did you end up doing with it? Do I use it in a new radio or just ignore it? Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts