Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! I figured it's about time I started a proper build thread for my van. My name is Matt Hardy and I'm a full-time cinematographer that is currently based in Lake Tahoe, CA. I travel the world filming and producing commercial films, documentaries, and narratives. Most of my work is in the outdoor industry.... I have worked with many brands like.... Enve Composites, Altra Running Shoes, Outside Television, Warren Miller Entertainment, TGR, RedBull, Rolex Sailing, The Golf Channel, and many more....and am currently filming a long format food and wine travel series that will hopefully be on Netflix soon :) I spend most of my time in the mountains skiing, backpacking, etc and can't wait to have a RAD adventure van that is my basecamp and office!!! Can follow me @tahoematt on IG if you want. I'm also going to start an IG page for the van but haven't come up with a name yet. Any Suggestions????

Enough about me.... I bought a new 2017 Promaster 2500 159 in Oregon this July. After waiting two months for the van to be delivered to the dealer it finally arrived and I flew up and drove her back to Tahoe. As of this post she has 3000 miles on here, so far no major issues besides a few I'll discuss below. Pics below!

My plans are to model the van after a few of my favorite builds.... taking my favorite aspects of each: CAMPERVANTANGO
PERMANENT ROADTRIP VAN

Van Details:
-2017 2500 159
-stock black paint
-off the lot with sliding door window and rear windows
- convenience package with fog lights and chrome

Upgrades done so far:
-CRL Drivers side Tvent Window
-Debadged sides and rear and plastidipped black
-Lowered seat bases and swivels installed on both seats
-Noico sound deadening
-removed wood composite floor
-Nokian Hakka LT2 Studded tires

Plans:
APPEARANCE
- Plastidip stock rims
- find euro grill/plastidip chrome grill/ exchange chrome grill for black plastic
- the goal is to have everything blacked out
- Will get a set of BFG K02 when summer comes around
- darkest window tent CA allows
- cabinets made out of maple
- flooring... vinyl???? Help
- Curtains between drivers and rear and behind bed and rear doors
INSULATION
-1 and 2 Inch PolyIso Board floor, ceiling, and walls using grid Great stuff foam as adhesive and sealant
-Thinsulate 600 over cab, side doors, rear doors, and ribs
HEATING
- Webatso Airtop 2000 ST (If I can find one!!!) Ideally installed under passenger seat or underfloor behind driver/couch
COOLING
- Maxxfan Deluxe 7500 Black mid/front
- Sailing Hatch (acts as roof access, filming standing on bed of wildlife, etc, and skylight, air) over rear bed
RACK
- Custom Rack w/ light bar, side lights, rear light (Under construction) cutouts for fan/hatch & rest covered with perforated metal to walk on
LADDER
- Haven't found a good solution. I want a drivers side ladder, looks like i'll need a custom one
SOLAR
- 300 to 600 Watts of Solar in 3 panels (hopefully fit so between fan and hatch there is still room to store things on roof)
- MPPT Controller, 2000 watt inverter, automatic charging relay, shore power
- 2 12v 250 AGM batteries
KITCHEN/Couch
- Full-size sink, 2 burner propane stove on an island that slightly sticks out on the door side. fold up table inside & outside
- 6 LBS propane/water heater
- Couch behind drivers side w/ storage and solar controller and batteries underneath (possibly foldout)
- water pump and water filter - (need suggestions)
- microwave ?? suggestions
- Fridge ?? suggestions Isotherm or top loader?
- charging cabinet for camera gear
BED/GARAGE
- Fixed bed in back raised so there is 36 Inches of garage space, 5 Inch memory foam mattress
- 25 Gallon Fresh water tank and 7-gallon grey water tank
- Video equipment storage on 2 500-pound sliding drawers, ski storage, outdoor shower attachment

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great start so far it sounds like. Good mods!

Your solar and battery sound adequate for sure, but I'm not sure on how much the microwave draws.

I still have yet to get a sink, but I did just order a fridge. If you like the advantages of a top load slide out, but don't want a cooler style check out the Dometic CD-50.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great start so far it sounds like. Good mods!

Your solar and battery sound adequate for sure, but I'm not sure on how much the microwave draws.

I still have yet to get a sink, but I did just order a fridge. If you like the advantages of a top load slide out, but don't want a cooler style check out the Dometic CD-50.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thanks, That looks like a solid fridge idea

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Tahoe Matt. I thought the name sounded familiar. I follow you on Instagram.

For floor I used rubber gym tiles. So far I'm really happy with it. I don't have to worry about it getting damaged of getting wet from ski boots, wet gear, etc. I laid it on top of 3/4" plywood and 3/4" polyiso.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks, That looks like a solid fridge idea
Hey Tahoematt - What happened to the build thread??? I just noticed you were planning on doing a Maxxair, 600 watts of solar, a Hatch, AND having room to put stuff up there. I'm guessing that did not end up working out? Having just tried to fit a bunch of that myself, I know how little room there is up there haha. Give us an update on the build if you're still around?!?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts