Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Ram Mount for my Nexus 7 installed today. The floor bracket is from my old f250 that I modified to fit the Promaster. Overall, im very happy with it. I'll use it mainly for streaming music and Navigation.
Check it out!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are those completely legal? Does it count as using an electronic device while driving?

Regardless, it looks to hold onto it really well. One of the more interesting mounts that I've seen. Most I've seen glue to the windshield or dash.

·
Registered
363 Posts
that's awesome.

i believe if it's right in your line of view, like on the windshield then it can be illegal to have and warrant you getting a ticket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Eventually, the Gov't will ban anything electronic in your vehicle that may distract you. Until then, the only laws I am aware of would be anything blocking your view out the windscreen. It may be a bunch of crap hanging from the rear view mirror, GPS suction cupped to the windscreen, a crack along your line of sight, ice and snow buildup, and finally, birdcrap that has not been removed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
at least with it mounted like that, if you're worried that a cop might give you trouble for it, just look straight ahead if one pulls up close enough to you.

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
So some of you seem to be saying the 5" or larger radio/information/navigation screens are or will be illegal? I don't think so. All this crap (meant in a good way) will become accepted. I read about radios in the 40's and 50's in cars being thought to be too distracting to allow! Then walkman being too distracting to walk along the street, now phones and texting, then GPSs in cars being the issue, or forward and behind cameras with screens.... jeeze will it never stop? Heads up displays may be the future like pilots? I gotta think we probably are going to see a maturation of this and accept that we can drive with momentary glances to the information age machines. Perhaps not texting unless you can do it from the steering wheel which may come. If these are not allowed they should ban the speedometer and tachometer! Ain't gonna happen!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Tablets and GPS units should be legal to use during driving. What is illegal is if the device is a two way communication device for text or voice or video such as DVD TV etc.
Here are Oregon's laws, YMMV with other states:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.507
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/815.240

What is also in question is windshield mounting (suction cups) which are illegal in many states:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34521
but when I go to the actual Oregon statute, it is really about not obstructing the windshield view:
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/815.220

So my conclusion is that you can use a tablet for navigation and music services while driving, but it should not block your view.

DryVah's installation is perfect, it is what you see in many police cruisers with laptops (and you know they comply!).

Here's my installation on a smaller tablet on my old VW, it is a dashtop mount, but as you can see, it really doesn't impair the visibility looking ahead. It looks as if the view impaired at the bottom of the windshield view a bit, I didn't take the photo in the driver's seat from eye point of view:

The mount (black material) is by www.proclipusa.com (aka Brodit in UK/Europe) and very good quality. ProClip mounts have the provision to have a charge port built in, so the tablet charges when you drive. They make mounts for almost every tablet and laptop out there. The aluminum base is homemade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was very disappointed the ProMaster didn't come with that mount setup, or at least the option for one. The 'thing' that is on the dashboard instead is completely useless. Do you know if these will fit the ProMaster without much fuss if you order them from Fiat? Or are a lot of modifications necessary?

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
OK lets get to the important part BavarianBoy. Is this available in Germany, how much does it cost and who do we order it from?

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
Obviously, you don't understand - the USA is NOT the EU! If you search the archives here you will find the link and the reasoning (as I recall it has something to do with automatic equipped, passenger side airbag equipped vehicles). It wouldn't stop me for a second to get one of these and installing it but obviously FIAT believes it shouldn't even be an option in the USA!

·
Registered
136 Posts
My Tablet/Phone holder

Here is my Tablet/Phone holder.

This is one of the small envelope holders with the tallest section bent backwards and 2 small toggle bolts dropped through the vent holes and tightened to hold it.

Someone mentioned "blocking view" for "dash mounts" as a problem. From my seating position, the top edge of the tablet is at the bottom of the windshield so it doesn't block anything.

Lets try this..

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzCxPUe7m_TPZ3lMNElHU3AyclE&usp=sharing

1 - 20 of 27 Posts