Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the tongue and groove wood used on the ceiling and sides of many of the camper conversions on this forum. But I can't figure out the thickness of the planks being used. At my local Home Depot, I can only find T&G pine in 1" (3/4" actual) thick boards or 1/4" thick planks that come in a bundle that's typically used for wainscoting. I'm concerned that the 1" thick planks would add a lot of weight to my build, but the 1/4" stuff looks to fragile to use for wall siding without having a plywood sheet as backing.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am using 12 foot T&G clear pine that is 5/8 thick and covers 5 inches. I do not mind the thickness as it will support the overhead cabinets. I got it at Lowes and they also had 12 foot blued, knotty pine that looked pretty cool and some lighter weight 12 foot cedar with knots. The cedar ws expensive (2x) when compared to the clear pine at around $29 a board.

These will span the 159 regular and I will need 12 to 13 to cover the roof. I used pickled white to show the grain and then gave it a clear coat.

I plan on establishing a centered board then carefully work to one wall with a tape to maintain the center and work across. I need to do this to hide the trim nails/screws in the joint. The first and last boards will certainly have some curves to fit to the wall ceiling crease.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1/4" Cedar closet liner was used in our build.

We haven't completed writing up the page showing how we connected everything, but it was a combo of glueing to 1/8" masonite, then attaching to the van... and Using click lock velcro to hold it to our ceiling and doors.

It has lasted 6 months of full timing with plenty of rough road driving.

Pro tip if using velcro: Sand any polyurethane the back of the wood where the velcro strips will adhere. We learned the hard way that this is necessary and had to redo the whole roof early on.

Another tip to consider - DON'T start your build by covering all the walls! Use the metal structure to support any framing for your build, then only cover what is left visible. For uus, this was very little. It would have been a waste to cover the walls behind the cabinets, and would have made it much harder to attach all of our supporting structure.

https://mcvansion.blogspot.com/2018/01/finished-build.html

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,240 Posts
Michael S. Pritchett,

Thanks for the blog link, I like the rear door vents. Did you buy 4 vents?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts