Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been liking my '14 Promaster I bought in Sept. And as an old mechanic, I have come to appreciate the benefits of synthetic lubes in vehicles. I've already bought Shell's Synthetic oil for the motor as my first 5k mile service is coming up shortly. Is it worth it to take care of the auto transmission the same way and drop the pan to wipe it out well and change it over to synthetic ATF? I retired as a Navy Nuc plant mechanic last century. I'm a big believer in preventive maintenance.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
You will only get about 1/2 the fluid out of the transmission even opening the pan. I'd sooner change the fluid early with the same spec as the origional. Often may be better than different.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Use only fluid meeting Chrysler ATF +4 specifications in this transmission. It already is a synthetic.

I would get it changed more frequently than Chrysler says to, but changing it at 5,000 mi is probably a little excessive. I'm planning to do it at 60,000 km, which for me, is still a couple years away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing it at the 5k mark as a break-in service. Any swarf and stuff settled in the pan gets cleaned out that way. You'd be amazed at the crap you find in the oil pans of newly broken in vehicles. This way they jump into their service lives with really clean systems.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't know first-hand how applicable this is to Chryslers automatic plumbing system...

IIRC the best way for a fluid change out on my F150 (or Z28?, been a while) automatic trans involved dropping the pan, swapping the filter - closing it back up and add fluid to full...

Then breaking the transmission cooler return line at the transmission (choose carefully) and add an extension tube to that return line, start the motor and monitor the fluid color being pumped/dumped into bucket (clear line visible from driver seat helped) until fresh was being discharged, shut down the motor. I seem to remember getting 4 quarts of dark colored fluid out before it changed to a clear fresh color, so the pump and cooler supply line is now cleared of old fluid.

At this time a good time to pull the cooler supply lines to the trans cooler and use low pressure compressed air to chase remaining fluids out of lines and coolers. Some people would say any sediments in lines and cooler are best left undisturbed; that may be true on a 100,000 mile first change but in my sole opinion its worth the hassle, especially on a low-mileage first change out.

Normalize the hoses, top off transmission fluid, and spend a while cleaning up the mess because there likely will be a huge one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts