Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I buy the Shell stuff on sale at BJ's or Costco six pack for something like $21+/- if I remember but I've only done the first oil change so far at 3k miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm at 7000 miles so i have two more dealer non synth changes before i'll switch....i was wondering if anyone has enough miles to go synth yet

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
What does your mileage have to do with it? Do you get the first three oil changes free from the dealer? I changed over to synthetic at 3k miles and always do my own oil changes. I don't need/want some stealership doing anything to my van unless it's free warrantee work!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ur supposed to let the engine break in with regular oil for a while before switching to synthetic no? i got 4 free oil changes at the dealer with my purchase....each at 3k miles...

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I don't know. I never heard that before but if you get four free changes I guess I'd take them.

I know a lot of cars come with synthetic oil from the beginning. The only real reason to use it in my opinion is if you can buy it for cheap (under $4 qt) as it's supposed to go 10k miles between changes and doesn't hurt!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have 21000 km on mine.. had synthetic put in at 7k and just recently at 20k. Can't tell you what kind though... so far so good. All done at a dealer as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Haha, well fortunately that didn't come out of my oil pan.. good question though, I did not think to ask to see the oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at 2000 miles.

I've got a few free oil changes at the dealer as well, but it's too much of a hassle for me to be honest. The oil change on the PM is probably the easiest (and fastest) i've ever done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are signed up for the business link you get up to 2 years worth of oil changes . which if its a gas you get 8 changes and a diesel you get 4 changes for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
that is how small aircraft piston engines are broken in. I do this with air cooled motorcycle engines with iron liners. Run em hard

1 - 20 of 26 Posts