Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best swivel? Sounds like RD is pretty happy with his Sportscraft now that he has the lowered base. Other opinions on that? RD mentioned being interested in the SwivelsRUs swivel that Winston and VJ have -- seem like it might be better? At the moment, I think I'm only going to aim for the passenger swivel, on the grounds that it's the most important one and I'm trying to keep things simple right now, but for when the time comes, is there a solution for the driver's side that works really well, or is it kind of awkward whatever you do?

TIA, as always.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got the Sportscraft swivels from Eurocampers.com. I have swivels for both the driver's seat and the passenger seat. I did get the lower base for the driver seat - it's only me traveling. I never tried it with out the lower base; however, I can't imagine it being comfortable. I am 5'8". I don't think it's a matter of viewing out the windshield, but more of sitting lower so my legs/feet can reach the gas and break while not having to have the seat all the way forward.

On my recent trip I spent most of the time in the passenger seat (swiveled around) with my feet resting on the frame of my fridge/freezer. That was mostly because I had stuff stacked on the drivers side seat while parked. When I have both seats clear and both turned around and it's just me, I like to sit in the seats like a bench seat; sitting in the driver's chair and feet resting up on the passenger seat.

To swivel each one I have to manipulate the seat position, moving the seat back to be able to lift the swivel lever (probably not necessary for the SwivelsRUs) then forward to clear the steering wheel or pillar.

I went with the Sportscraft swivels for two reasons, they where cheaper and they had the lower base.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the swivels r us swivels. I am happy with them. They are not offset like the Sportscraft swivels. From prior discussions, this seems to result in an easier swivel process with less maneuvering to make it go around. Both require some manipulation to complete the swivel without hitting the pillars or the steering wheel. I did find one position which made it all the way around without hitting anything, but it was not the normal driving position. So I still had to move it forward a little before swiveling.

The Swivels R Us swivel (which is the same as the European CTA) has a larger center hole which I found necessary for the wire connections. My van has the heated seats which have a few more connections underneath.

Some reported having to bend the wire rod on the front of the seat to clear the Sportscraft swivel. I did not find that to be necessary with the swivels r us unit.

I don't know if anybody has confirmed it, but I think most felt that the lowered seat base would work with either brand of swivel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is the oem version available and does it come the correct height? I'm sure it's expensive if it's finally out.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The OEM swivel is about $2000- each! The height is lowered, the belts are integrated and it comes in cloth only no 6 way either. If you are ordering a van or find one with them great otherwise not really a practical option.

Both brands of swivel and the Sportscraft lowered bases are real quality products. The bases work with either seat swivel.

I have CTA swivel (from swivelsrus.com) on a lowered base in the drivers position. It works much better than the Sportscraft (from eurocampers.com) there. I have had both so trust me as I paid an extra $300 to find out. Its only drawback is the lever to swivel is somewhat under the forward and back adjustment lever and hard for me to reach. VERY satisfactory. The Sportscraft driver’s swivel is not convenient to swivel as it fouls the steering wheel on the lumbar knob, the back must be raised, the steering wheel lowered and the seat must be both moved forward and back during the swivel. It is not a good solution for that side. More on that seat in a moment.

The Ms. and I are short (5’8” and 5’3”) so the lowered bases are welcome. We postponed 2 years and shouldn’t have.

I have the DRIVER’S side Sportscraft swivel that I removed on a lowered base in thePASSENGER position where it works great. It moves the seat towards the door as it swivels and that is a huge advantage to have space between the seats! I like it there. All functions of both seats work fine. We have the armrest that come with the 6 way adjustable seats so when the passenger seat is swiveled it has to come forward as it is swiveled to miss the door with that armrest. If you don't have the armrest I would get that Sportscraft drives side swivel as my FIRST choice for the passenger side!! With the armrest you may want to get the Passenger side CTA swivel or put up with the interference with he door.

Clear?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Nope, they don’t do the lowered bases IIRC. Try one of those 5 hour energy things and a Starbucks double shot and a Mt. Dew and with that combo you will be amazed at that you get done!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Maybe not try them high. Adding the lowered bases later is not a big deal and if high is ok its a bunch of $$$ saved.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
RD--is this consistent with your suggestion?

We have two Sportscraft swivels. No passenger arm rest. Passenger swivel is malfunctioning. Driver swivel is seldom used because it's a pain.

We would buy a driver side swivels-r-us and transfer the driver side Sportscraft to the passenger seat? Handle on the Sportscraft would be toward the door well?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The OEM swivel is about $2000- each! The height is lowered, the belts are integrated and it comes in cloth only no 6 way either. If you are ordering a van or find one with them great otherwise not really a practical option.

Both brands of swivel and the Sportscraft lowered bases are real quality products. The bases work with either seat swivel.

I have CTA swivel (from swivelsrus.com) on a lowered base in the drivers position. It works much better than the Sportscraft (from eurocampers.com) there. I have had both so trust me as I paid an extra $300 to find out. Its only drawback is the lever to swivel is somewhat under the forward and back adjustment lever and hard for me to reach. VERY satisfactory. The Sportscraft driver’s swivel is not convenient to swivel as it fouls the steering wheel on the lumbar knob, the back must be raised, the steering wheel lowered and the seat must be both moved forward and back during the swivel. It is not a good solution for that side. More on that seat in a moment.

The Ms. and I are short (5’8” and 5’3”) so the lowered bases are welcome. We postponed 2 years and shouldn’t have.

I have the DRIVER’S side Sportscraft swivel that I removed on a lowered base in thePASSENGER position where it works great. It moves the seat towards the door as it swivels and that is a huge advantage to have space between the seats! I like it there. All functions of both seats work fine. We have the armrest that come with the 6 way adjustable seats so when the passenger seat is swiveled it has to come forward as it is swiveled to miss the door with that armrest. If you don't have the armrest I would get that Sportscraft drives side swivel as my FIRST choice for the passenger side!! With the armrest you may want to get the Passenger side CTA swivel or put up with the interference with he door.

Clear?
$2000 wow, so with the complete seat and belts etc? You cant buy the mounts and swivels separate? I'm guessing they won't be selling many of those.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have the arm rest. Is there a reason you recommend the passenger CTA over the passenger Sportscraft, RD? I do like the idea of the offset, to get more room between the seats.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
$2000 wow, so with the complete seat and belts etc? You cant buy the mounts and swivels separate? I'm guessing they won't be selling many of those.
The factory swivel seats don't fit our installed or the lowered bases. Conversely the factory lower bases don't fit our seats. Only OEM swivel and base work together.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I do have the arm rest. Is there a reason you recommend the passenger CTA over the passenger Sportscraft, RD? I do like the idea of the offset, to get more room between the seats.
If you have the passenger armrest I’d buy both CTA swivels from swivelsrus.com. The thing you DON’T want is the Sportscraft drivers swivel on the drivers side as it fouls against everything if you have the arm rests. You may not want the Sportscraft passenger swivel on the passenger side as it moves inward to make the room in the middle less. If you don’t care if the central room decreases, the Sportscraft swivel is great on the passenger side. If you don't have the armrest or are willing to have the seat moved forward the driver’s Sportscraft swivel is great on the passenger side moving it over almost 4 inches. I only have that as I bought a Sportscraft swivel for the driver’s side and in frustration replaced it with the CTA. Once I had the Sportscraft driver’s swivel removed I decided to try it on the passenger side and we like it! It’s your call now you have been informed.
It is true the CTA swivels turn a bit hard. They have a set of bolts to make that adjustable but I haven't tried loosing them as I want to avoid any sense of wiggle. I tried some lube on them but to not much advantage.
As I said earlier the lowered bases are great quality, made us comfortable for the first time and fit both brands of swivel, the tool kit and the under-seat tray fit under them too.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We have SwivelsR Us and no problems yet. They are a bit stiff to swivel though and when driving
Poof'a feet do the stretch to reach accommodations. But overall we're happy with them on both sides.
It is true the CTA swivels turn a bit hard. They have a set of bolts to make that adjustable but I haven't tried loosing them as I want to avoid any sense of wiggle. I tried some lube on them but to not much advantage.
We have the Sportscraft lowered bases on with the SwivelsRUs (CTA) swivels. And confirm the difficulty in rotating them. RD, we're assuming there's some happy-medium between the current 'too tight' and "wiggling". We'll give it a try and report once we find the necessary wrenches.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more question about the Sportscraft swivels: So the offset means that the seat will be in its ordinary position when it's turned forward, but it will be over about 4 inches when it's swiveled -- is that right?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes, in both the driver's and passenger's cases nearer the center when swiveled. BTW the CTA swivels will not be moved sideways but will be moved backwards in the van about 4 inches when swiveled. When facing forward both sets seem to be in their origional positions.

Reactions: Julie Rehmeyer
1 - 20 of 27 Posts