Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tell me I'm crazy so I can stop thinking about it--

Our 48" x 72" cross-wise bed is perfect for us. The bed board is integral to the storage units underneath.

Now I have an unanticipated situation x 2. I am on a solo trip visiting old friends and close relatives. My cousin asked if she could come with me for a few days--I'll meet up with her in a few minutes. Then my oldest, bestest friend asked if she and I could take a trip together. I have no problem having MrNomer crawl over me, but it might get a bit awkward with someone else.

I have enough room between the "kitchen" cabinet and the slider that I could position the bed length wise. About 1 foot on each end would overhang the present cabinetry. Rear is a non-issue, but front would have to be moved for access to the drawers and tables. I could make a second bedboard that would lie atop the present one and would swivel around at night.

Your reaction?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just tell me I'm crazy so I can stop thinking about it--

Our 48" x 72" cross-wise bed is perfect for us. The bed board is integral to the storage units underneath.

Now I have an unanticipated situation x 2. I am on a solo trip visiting old friends and close relatives. My cousin asked if she could come with me for a few days--I'll meet up with her in a few minutes. Then my oldest, bestest friend asked if she and I could take a trip together. I have no problem having MrNomer crawl over me, but it might get a bit awkward with someone else.

I have enough room between the "kitchen" cabinet and the slider that I could position the bed length wise. About 1 foot on each end would overhang the present cabinetry. Rear is a non-issue, but front would have to be moved for access to the drawers and tables. I could make a second bedboard that would lie atop the present one and would swivel around at night.

Your reaction?
If you are talking about swiveling a 48" X 72" platform, wouldn't it quickly hit the walls before you swiveled it very far?

·
Registered
271 Posts
But, but, oldest bestest crawling over a time or two vs the work of a swivel (if it will even swivel??). No brainer - No swivel. Enjoy the camaraderie. Just imagine you are ultralight backpacking with friends which may involve one very tight shelter and a few friends. Or, your snowcave built for 2 now has 4. Just builds even more camaraderie and great stories. My 2 cents FWIW. Enjoy the time with your friends!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Oh since you asked for it.... You are just plain nuts for even considering it! I’m with watercamper on this one. I am leading a group across the Camino del Diablo in March and may need to camp with a good friend (male) on the sleeping platform of my Toy 4runner. Two sleeping bags, no climbing over (ask and I’ll move) and everybody is allowed to snore! Perhaps that is a problem with your friends too? The platform is almost exactly the same size as yours (50X70 ish). The alternative is just to ask him to sleep on a cot outdoors but in the unlikely event of rain........

·
Registered
240 Posts
We took my father with us on a thirty day, ten thousand mile trip. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to fit on top of the front seats and fit a piece of foam to it and rapped a sheet around it with staples. During the day it was strapped to the wall and at night my wife put sheets and blankets on it up front. He was in his eighty's and swore it was very comfortable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With your skills Im getting you can make it work. I have designed our bed pedestal to support a 60x80 double bed lengthwise and convertible if we shift to a 72x60 positioned crosswise. The bed deck is in panels so rotating them in 3 pieces not a problem. Let us know your call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,543 Posts
We took my father with us on a thirty day, ten thousand mile trip. I cut a piece of half inch plywood to fit on top of the front seats and fit a piece of foam to it and rapped a sheet around it with staples. During the day it was strapped to the wall and at night my wife put sheets and blankets on it up front. He was in his eighty's and swore it was very comfortable.
I thought about this for a grandnephew solution (3 sleepers)

How about the friend gets the floor? There's a pretty good sized space between the front seat bases and the bed drawer base in the back, no? Feet should fit in the space between the front seats for additional length.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Or if they don't like that ....... tent

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reality check. Cousin and I slept fine and had a fantastic time. I'm sure friend and I will do the same.

Guess I was looking too hard for something to twitch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts