Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to add a swivel to my seat that doesn't raise the seat by 1 5/8"? Or do you know how to lower the seat once you add the swivel? I already know about the factory seat adjustments, but I am a tall guy and even on the lowest setting it will be too tall when I add the swivel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is there a way to add a swivel to my seat that doesn't raise the seat by 1 5/8"? Or do you know how to lower the seat once you add the swivel? I already know about the factory seat adjustments, but I am a tall guy and even on the lowest setting it will be too tall when I add the swivel.
I have the opposite concern. I'm not too short (5'8"), but a long torso, so short legs.

Just had my first sit in a PM yesterday, with the driver's seat adjusted all the way down it was about right. I'd be doing a swivel on the passenger seat, but still want to be comfy when sitting over there.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
I have the opposite concern. I'm not too short (5'8"), but a long torso, so short legs.

Just had my first sit in a PM yesterday, with the driver's seat adjusted all the way down it was about right. I'd be doing a swivel on the passenger seat, but still want to be comfy when sitting over there.
At 5'5" I'd like to add the swivels but not add any height. Sounds like cutting and welding the base is the only option.

I have thought about putting an RV swivel base on the seats. It's just a round tube welded to a plate, and is available in different heights. Anyone have any experience with them?

Ed

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
At 5'5" I'd like to add the swivels but not add any height. Sounds like cutting and welding the base is the only option.

I have thought about putting an RV swivel base on the seats. It's just a round tube welded to a plate, and is available in different heights. Anyone have any experience with them?

Ed
I'm sure you could do this as you could do it in any vehicle. What should concern you the most is trusting your workmanship in the event of a collision. What would the insurance company say about your modification?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Offroader,

Sportscraft and some other manufacturers make a lower seat box to compensate for the added hight of the swivel plates (see link). I came across another supplier, I'll try to dig it up as well.

Unfortunately as with most accessories for the Promaster they are out of Europe made for the Ducato.

It might be possible to get Eurocamper to bring some in as they already sell Sports craft swivels. I know I would buy a pair if they brought them in.

Cheers,

Dave

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/lower-seat-fiatpeugeotcitroen-swivel-included-p-4103.html

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts

Ed
I did that in my Sprinter. It worked out very well! I bought the swivel mechanism from McMaster Carr and made up the rest myself. It was as solid as the original for sure. I think I did a short write up on it here if you search for it you will probably find it. If not I can post the parts link for you?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Hi Offroader,

Sportscraft and some other manufacturers make a lower seat box to compensate for the added hight of the swivel plates (see link). I came across another supplier, I'll try to dig it up as well.

Unfortunately as with most accessories for the Promaster they are out of Europe made for the Ducato.

It might be possible to get Eurocamper to bring some in as they already sell Sports craft swivels. I know I would buy a pair if they brought them in.

Cheers,

Dave

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/lower-seat-fiatpeugeotcitroen-swivel-included-p-4103.html
The other manufacturer you may be thinking of is Jennings: http://www.jennings-seats.co.uk/shop/20/index.htm
or
http://www.swivel-seats.com/fiat-ducato.html

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
I'm sure you could do this as you could do it in any vehicle. What should concern you the most is trusting your workmanship in the event of a collision. What would the insurance company say about your modification?
I agree, That's the tricky part.

From what I've seen, the bottom plate connects to the floor bolts, although an adapter plate might be required to match the holes. Seems like a flat plate of steel with some holes made to adapt would be pretty safe.

A second flat plate to adapt to the OEM seat slides would do it. What intrigues me is that you can order the pedestals in various heights so it would be easy to make the whole thing strong and solid. Wires would have to be dealt with.

I've seen RV driver seat pedestals for a lot less than a eurocamper swivel.. and it's a complete base that swivels!

Seems like if you call it an RV, many of the safety standards are much less stringent, like the back passenger seats - a wooden bench with lap belts bolted to the floor! In CT, there is not an RV class of registration so I'm not sure how to get insurance to recognize a PM-RV as one.

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anybody know if the 6 way adjustable seat option is compatible with the swivels sold through Eurocampers.com? I asked them and they weren't sure.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does anybody know if the 6 way adjustable seat option is compatible with the swivels sold through Eurocampers.com? I asked them and they weren't sure.

How about heated seats? Is there enough slack in the wiring (and a disconnect available) to run it through the center of the pivot on the swivel base?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
I have the Eurocampers and am happy. There is a current discussion on the Sprinter forum that with the other, Sprinters have to open the door to turn the seat. I don't know whether that would apply to the PM because it is wider, but the Eurocampers version is offset to avoid that necessity and the other isn't. It also appears from the Sprinter discussion that the other may be heavier duty, but the Eurocampers version is plenty sturdy for us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am happy with the leisurelines swivels from the UK but now I too want to lower my base... Welding is an option but sportsmobile sells a chopped base for $274. here is a thread about I guy that married the two (sportscraft was trying to sell their product and wouldnt confirm compatability)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts