Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I opted to get the CTA swivels and the 4” OEM lowered seat base. This combo provides a 2” drop in overall seat height - I’m tall and don’t like leaning down. Based on my search, while this has been mentioned as a possibility, I’m not sure if anyone has shared their install on this or any forum.

I think the reason this combo isn’t common is because the bolt holes don’t line up between the OEM lower base and the CTA swivel/seat rails. I suspect this is because of the OEM swivels (that set-up is a lot of $). Anyway, so you need an adapter plate. I’m not a welder so I wanted a nuts and bolt solution.

Here is my solution that can be found at any local metal supply: 3 sections of 17” long 5”x3” steel angle, 1/4” thick. Well, 6 sections total if you do both seats. Lots of drilling, some painting and grade 8 bolts. It is really solid. I feel really good about over-engineering this. Note that for the CTA swivels require an additional two holes for their bolts to set into, found that out after already in the van (see pic with drill). And, used 3 washers = 1/4” to level the front with the back due to overlap of steel angle in the rear of the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if you got the right CTA swivel for the van. It seems that the lower OEM base would have the same hole pattern as the higher base that came with the van, correct? I just got my CTA swivels yesterday and they fit the original base like they were made for them (I guess they were) About 20 minutes install per seat. I have a 2019 PM 136 HT. My CTA swivels are X-250 ordered from leisurelines.net in England.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you able to provide a part number for those bases? I'd like to contact my dealer to inquire about getting a set.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I wonder if you got the right CTA swivel for the van. It seems that the lower OEM base would have the same hole pattern as the higher base that came with the van, correct? I just got my CTA swivels yesterday and they fit the original base like they were made for them (I guess they were) About 20 minutes install per seat. I have a 2019 PM 136 HT. My CTA swivels are X-250 ordered from leisurelines.net in England.
OEM swivels seat bases have a different hole pattern for the OEM swivel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got it, that makes sense, I just contacted my dealer about that OEM lowered base and he says his parts list only shows one seat base and it's $475. He said he could look it up if I had a part number. If you could possibly supply a part number that would be great but I understand if you can't because it's already installed.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Got it, that makes sense, I just contacted my dealer about that OEM lowered base and he says his parts list only shows one seat base and it's $475. He said he could look it up if I had a part number. If you could possibly supply a part number that would be great but I understand if you can't because it's already installed.
in here called seat riser, Front Seats - Adjusters, Recliners, Shields and Risers for 2016 Ram ProMaster 1500 | Steve White Parts

FWIW the suspension seat base appears to be really low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, just found it on that site. Gonna check them out tomorrow then if I order I’ll also post the install with my CTA swivels. Almost even cheaper than what a local welder quoted to cut mine down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, just found it on that site. Gonna check them out tomorrow then if I order I’ll also post the install with my CTA swivels. Almost even cheaper than what a local welder quoted to cut mine down.
What was the result of this? Did you manage to get the OEM bases from a dealer? I was looking into a lowered base, but not the 4" lowered one, and thought that I may go this route if they are available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OMG, I love my CTA swivels and my OEM lowered bases! I wouldn’t consider anything else. The two bases cost $357.28 and the swivels cost $476.88 for a total of $834.16.

The bases are here:

The swivels are here:

Below are photos of the original and new base side by side.

Like @[email protected] We had to do some modification to get these to fit because the holes in the OEM lowered base do not match the holes in the base that came with the van and therefore don't match the holes in the CTA swivels. (The CTA swivels fit the higher base that came with the van perfectly.) Scott used angle iron. My wife has access to a plasma cutter so I designed 1/4" steel plates on the computer (making plywood templates to test fit first) and she cut them out to fit perfectly between the new bases and the swivels. So while these bases are 4" lower than the originals they ended up only lowering the seat height by 2" which is perfect for us. I can't even describe how much better the comfort level of these seats are now. I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'4" and the seat height is now perfect at about 16".

I also had to mod the hand brake to allow the driver seat to turn 180 degrees. I did that with a piece of hard maple painted black and some lag bolts. I've attached photos and I'm happy to go into further detail if someone wants to try this. In fact, I'm happy to send the plywood to anyone who wants to try it if you'll just pay for the shipping. Let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
What was the result of this? Did you manage to get the OEM bases from a dealer? I was looking into a lowered base, but not the 4" lowered one, and thought that I may go this route if they are available.
Not sure if you got the post I just put up. I just gave you a detailed reply.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,838 Posts
I find this thread encouraging from the opposite perspective. I really like the factory swivel, but I also need a high seat, so it’s comforting there would be a way to put factory swivels on the original base.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My van has the 6-way seats in it, so I think that I won't need to change the bases at all based on comments that I have found in another swivel thread somewhere on here.

I'll be getting the CTA seats in a few days and then it'll be a while before I can get to putting them in, but I'm thinking that I will forego the bases initially and just go with the swivels and see if the height adjustment will be enough to make them comfortable for us.

Thanks for the information and especially the photos! That should be very helpful for anyone who needs to take this approach.

FWIW, I have had some 1/4" steel plate plasma cut by a local guy and it was quite inexpensive, so that would certainly be the way to go for something like this unless you had suitable tooling to do a good job cutting and drilling steel plate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The process of ordering the swivels was weird. They list at $160 each, and when I put 2 in my cart to check out it was $266 total. There was no way to add the shipping, so I just checked out and emailed them 3 days ago. They sent me a link to a shipping item I could purchase. 2 days ago, I purchased the shipping separately and let them know which order it was for. Looks like it was shipped from Kenilworth, UK yesterday and is already out for delivery in SF now. How is this even possible?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts