Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
too many rear end accidents down here, i like this better, and DOT doesnt give a crap about vans down here so we're good!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like it. Sounds like good project for me this weekend.

Did you just snip wires and connect to brakes light wires at rear of Van?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
strangely enough they arent wired together from light to light...i almost did a "knight rider" with them because of that! BUT, i decided just to add them to the brake light instead...they pull no power almost so no relay is necessary...if you think about it...if your're being followed by a van or something...this will allow traffic way back to see that your braking for quite a distance

·
Registered
428 Posts
DOT regulations require clearance lamps and identification lamps on all vehicles wider than 80 inches. Thus Promaster has them but Ford and Sprinter do not as they are narrower. The ID lamps are the three at the center mounted as high as possible (red in rear, yellow in front). The clearance lamps are at the edges supposed to be within 6 inches of the edge (red rear, yellow front).

Are you saying that you are changing the rear 5 lamps into brake lights? Maybe the police will never stop you or maybe they will! In an accident, even if the lighting has nothing to do with it, you could be held liable. More importantly your insurance might not pay for liability or damage repair because you will have made alterations to the DOT required features of your vehicle. Also will the vehicle pass state inspections?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Our Highway Traffic Act - which is what the cops enforce on the roads - doesn't necessarily mandate everything that CMVSS does, but it does require vehicles over 2.05 m (80") wide to have clearance lamps - but it only mentions the ones on the outside, not the three center ones.

When you sell the vehicle, that's when they get you; the inspection that is required at that time requires all safety equipment to operate as originally designed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Florida no longer has vehicle inspections as far as I know. They used to when I lived there a long time ago, but now it doesn't seem to be required. I still have family there and visit often. My parents' car does not get inspected.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Brian, Ford specs the SRW Transit at over 80 inches wide, yet it doesn't have the lights. Only the DRW models that are even wider have the lamps. Do you know how Ford avoids them on SRW Transits?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Proof the police have no idea what CFR regulations are, is all those aftermarket taillight and headlight covers, that are not code compliant, running free.

The only people that might catch me, are the car inspection people if they look up. I could easily add switch to flip lights back to normal for inspection.

Anyone with a dually pickup out there? How do your 6 lights across the back of the cab work? Does center light in the six, work as high mounted brake light?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,482 Posts
Proof the police have no idea what CFR regulations are, is all those aftermarket taillight and headlight covers, that are not code compliant, running free.

The only people that might catch me, are the car inspection people if they look up. I could easily add switch to flip lights back to normal for inspection.

Anyone with a dually pickup out there? How do your 6 lights across the back of the cab work? Does center light in the six, work as high mounted brake light?
If the vehicle has marker lights they must operate as marker lights. It would be an easy pull over for a state trooper to meet his quota.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
I guess I don't see the problem either with the light change or the enforcement. I certainly wouldn't drive in fear of being stopped for something that all of us would see as safe and better IMHO. Install the switch, if stopped just open the door, switch it and say " Oh I have a chafed wire I guess, thanks officer!" They have better things to enforce like the trailers with flapping parts and the motorcycles with the plate installed sideways, or the lowrider scraping the pavement or the lifted trucks with bumpers three feet off the ground.... don't get me started!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
Two comments...

1) What do these lights do? The driver knows how high and wide the van is and has to drive so as to not drive places where it won't fit. Other drivers? If the headlights and taillights are at the same width?

I know, "rules is rules".. just wondering what these particular lights accomplish.

2) At an RV show yeaterday in CT. Two Promaster RVs.... They took the clearance lights off, put a body colored blank plate over the holes, then mounted a very small LED in the middle of each blank plate. Looked pretty cheesy!

Ed

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
florida doesnt care...i actually asked a DOT guy and he said on vans they dont give a crap...especially if the dont have a name like "fedex" on them...i took them off the front and the back...
i even took them off my isuzu and they didnt give a crap...
most cops have bigger fish to fry...like mirror tinted front windows...
that one pissed him off, but even then, he only warned me...
i'd much rather not get rearended !

down here in south florida, most cops are just happy not to see a pile of dead bodies in the back of your truck

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
.....cut......

I know, "rules is rules".. just wondering what these particular lights accomplish.

.....cut.....
Ed
That's a great question, and one I've asked myself too. When I researched it a while back I couldn't find the history behind them. Maybe newer search engines would help.

Since they seem primarily meant for night driving, I've assumed it's probably to make larger vehicles seem larger from a distance than if they only had tail lights. Since trucks often drove slower, it would give drivers coming up on them from behind a heads up that it was a semi trailer and not a car.

I assumed the same logic for front marker lights. If a truck was coming at you while passing another vehicle on a two lane road, it's valuable to know you are heading towards a slow-accelerating truck. Or if you look in rear view mirror and see vehicle behind is a truck you may not slam on brakes as readily.

A pure guess on my part -- could be for different reasons entirely.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Brian, Ford specs the SRW Transit at over 80 inches wide, yet it doesn't have the lights. Only the DRW models that are even wider have the lamps. Do you know how Ford avoids them on SRW Transits?
LOL - You're right.

Expect a recall at some point ...

·
Registered
338 Posts
too many rear end accidents down here, i like this better, and DOT doesnt give a crap about vans down here so we're good!
Same here bulldogneon. Unfortunately, most rear end collisions occur because the person who most likely hits you has his/her head buried in there phone while driving, so visually they have no clue your stopping. I installed a Rhino hitch step in my hitch receiver this gives a little extra "reach out an hit me I dare you" room just in case some 20yr. old unemployed/living in basement child is just beginning/learn to drive and is right behind you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^ On my previous tow vehicle (Jetta) the hitch adapter was solidly rusted in place inside the receiver, so I left the hitch ball there. (didn't really have a choice - couldn't get it out) Someone in a Chrysler Neon got a hard lesson about paying attention because of that. No damage to my car, but the hitch ball went right through their lower grille.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I looked at the acess around the lights. Wires right there for easy cutting and routing to brake lights. I'll wait for better weather before doing it.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I think it's cool that you wired them that way. Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Besides whose the one paying for your ride anyway.

I'm also in the don't get me started campground. Stop by for a beer and an earful if you dare.

Todd

·
Registered
31 Posts

I've got a 99 f350 dually. I have no lights on the back of cab. I have lights over the front of my cab, those are clearance lights. Under the tailgate, I have 3 lights in the center about 4 inches apart from each other when the truck came from the factory. And on the dually fenders cause they stick out a lot further than the bedsides, I have red marker lights in the rears of the fenders and amber ones on the front side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you post pic's of the operation?

The upper light seem quite small, not sure how much light you would get from it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts