Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been earlier posts, but I'd like to consolidate everyone's experiences with both rack and hitch information. From earlier posts, it appears the fit/swing can depend on the type of hitch you have.
What brand/model of swing-away do you have?
On what hitch (factory, Curt, etc)?
Pros/cons?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
There have been earlier posts, but I'd like to consolidate everyone's experiences with both rack and hitch information. From earlier posts, it appears the fit/swing can depend on the type of hitch you have.
What brand/model of swing-away do you have?
On what hitch (factory, Curt, etc)?
Pros/cons?
Princess Auto ”Langford” has a hitch mount unit that will hold two bikes for $60. Pull a pin & the unit drops aft (bikes would have to be off). If you needed 4 bikes an extender could be bought for $20

I tested it out for fit & the doors would swing open with the pin pulled (but bikes would have to be off). Also a step thru bike (no upper frame member) does no hang easy, so there is that. My hitch is factory.

Not the one pictured below (they had those also).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rockymounts Backstage was the only one I could find that swings completely wide of the van allowing me to open the back doors 90 degrees.
Got the Rockymounts Backstage and love it.
Do either of you have the Backstage on a factory hitch? Any installation or fit issues?

I've also been looking at the Thule Access + T2 Classic combo. Anyone have that on a factory hitch?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do either of you have the Backstage on a factory hitch? Any installation or fit issues?

I've also been looking at the Thule Access + T2 Classic combo. Anyone have that on a factory hitch?
I have the factory Mopar 2" hitch. The backstage fit perfectly. No problems installing the rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My backstage is on a standard 2" hitch. We had absolutely no problems with it. Another great option is the Kuat Pivot V2, although it is hard to find these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the swing-away adapters have most opted for them to swing on the passenger side? I'm trying to decide whether having the bikes swing out on the same side as the passenger slider will be bothersome when camping - picnic table, chairs, tarp, etc. would be on the same side.

I get that having them on the driver's side means that if I parallel park anywhere I wouldn't likely be able to swing out the bike rack as it would be a potential hazard to those driving by, but I'm not sure how often I would find a need to do so.

Thanks,
Santiago

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Rockymounts Backstage, and most others I've seen, only come in a passenger-side swing version. Drivers-side swing would really limit your choices. When swung all the way round, the bikes only overlap the side of the van by half-a-bike, so they don't take up much space along that side of the van. If you want more room, you can always take the bikes off at your campsite. We haven't found it to be a big inconvenience.

EDIT: BTW, we ended up getting the Backstage rack and love it. It holds our two 60lb ebikes just fine. Its tip-down feature makes them easier to load, too. There is only one draw back, which may apply to other racks as well. Our bikes have very wide handlebars and ones on the inside bike touch the back door of the van. I found this simple, cheap ($10) solution, which lets you loosen and turn the handbars 90 degrees without disturbing the headset bearings: Locking headset spacer. If you have an older bike with a thread headset, this does the same thing: Flipcrown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Steve. I was looking at the Rakattach swing hitch adapter which can be purchased in either a passenger side or driver side configuration. I'm likely making a bigger deal of the decision but figured I'd do my homework ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries. Be sure to compare all-in prices (swing arm plus bike rack). The Backstage is all-in-one, and maybe more rigid because of it. It carries our 2 60lb fat-tire ebikes like a champ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good point. I’ve got a rack already but need to be able to swing it. I also think I could use a cargo tray depending on the situation so having the flexibility is also a consideration.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Steve. I was looking at the Rakattach swing hitch adapter which can be purchased in either a passenger side or driver side configuration. I'm likely making a bigger deal of the decision but figured I'd do my homework ;)
The Rakattach does come in both swing directions. You can check my build thread to see the modification I made to have it clear the door if you have the factory hitch receiver. Other than that it's a good solution.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Yakima one, but it interferes with the rear door opening, even when swung open, so I had to go one step further and add a drop adapter to my receiver, which is a bit clunky, but has been working fine. My receiver hitch put the box directly below the bumper -- if you have one that is at least and inch below the bumper you might be able to use the Yakima w/o the adapter. The Yakima rack swings wide enough to allow the door to open to 90 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts