Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think someone would like this, it will go fast now that we know about it.
edit: Don't get carried away with an auction the starting price of $99 is a good deal after that be careful with your bids.
EDIT2: The eBay item sold for $168 and if you lived in KC for free pick up a very good deal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think someone would like this, it will go fast now that we know about it.
edit: Don't get carried away with an auction the starting price of $99 is a good deal after that be careful with your bids.
Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on it. It is also important to note the $115 shipping cost!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I have considered that Kuat for several projects but the nearly $350 always puts me off. Anyone see a reason that someone couldn’t build and sell one for $125+. Curt has some adapters for spare tires and such that I have used and they are both reasonable and decently made. How about a left handed one too?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have considered that Kuat for several projects but the nearly $350 always puts me off. Anyone see a reason that someone couldn’t build and sell one for $125+. Curt has some adapters for spare tires and such that I have used and they are both reasonable and decently made. How about a left handed one too?
Yes, many reasons. Overhead, for one. You need welders, cutters, jigs, inventory storage, space, shipping, accounting, insurance. All these cost a lot of money.A friend of mine built one beefier than the Kuat for probably $50 in materials and two hours of labor. Selling one for 125$ is way cheap.

1up is by far my favorite rack and they make an awesome swingaway, available in two sizes and left or right handedness for 359. I'll never buy another Kuat product again. Way too much molded plastic junk on their racks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have also been surprised at the high cost of these so I was happy to find them on eBay. I didn’t bid on the first one listed here and it went for ~$165. Add in the high shipping and it was barely cheaper than retail. He had a second one, though, that I scored for $50. With the $115 shipping I’m still getting it about 1/2 price. A swing-away hitch has always been on my “someday” list so I’m happy.

Angrymountainbiker, has any of the Kuat plastic broken? I have their hitch rack and I’ve always been satisfied. At the time I didn’t look closely at the 1up line.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the Küat Pivot paired with the Sherpa 2.0 and I don't have any issues with it for over a year of use now. The only thing you have to do is check the bolts for tightness due to vibrations and temperatures affecting the metal.
20191208_103857.jpg

20191208_103921.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I used a Capstone swing-away that just clears the doors BUT it was $100 Amazon Warehouse deal now $150 and has worked great well built used it for about 10,000 miles so far. Swings down too.
CapstoneRack.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have the Küat Pivot paired with the Sherpa 2.0 and I don't have any issues with it for over a year of use now. The only thing you have to do is check the bolts for tightness due to vibrations and temperatures affecting the metal
I'm considering the Kuat Pivot as well. I want to make sure when the pivot is installed that the rear doors will open without hitting the top of the Pivot. I have a factory receiver and it looks to be about 5 1/2" from the bottom edge of the door to the centre point of the hitch receiver. The kuat specs state that the height of the top of Pivot is 5 3/16" above centre.

Do you have the factory reciever, and does the door clear the Pivot? If you have an aftermarket hitch, they sit lower so I know that will clear.

Thanks
Shaun

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have the factory reciever, and does the door clear the Pivot? If you have an aftermarket hitch, they sit lower so I know that will clear.
I have a Curt hitch that doesn't have any clearance issues with the bottom of the doors.
If you do have a clearance issue they do make an adjustment post that you can buy seperate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm considering the Kuat Pivot as well. I want to make sure when the pivot is installed that the rear doors will open without hitting the top of the Pivot. I have a factory receiver and it looks to be about 5 1/2" from the bottom edge of the door to the centre point of the hitch receiver. The kuat specs state that the height of the top of Pivot is 5 3/16" above centre.

Do you have the factory reciever, and does the door clear the Pivot?
So I have the RakAttach pivot that I paired up with the 1UP rack (very nice equipment) But with the factory hitch receiver the door just hits the top of the pivot bolt. I talked with them and had success with a smaller head on that bolt which allowed the clearance for the door.

In my research the Kuat Pivot 2 solves the clearance issues with a new design of the pivot arm part. That said, I really like the RakAttach quality and heft. I'll post some pictures of my setup over on my build thread.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks akarmy. I've located a used Pivot2 for a price I'm happy with so I'm going to get it. I think based on my measurements the pivot will clear the door.
Shaun

·
Registered
445 Posts
Further to this. I checked the specs for the Rakattach and the dimensions from centre of receiver to top of bolt are 5.84". That means the Kuat is lower by 0.65". Hopefully that will be enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Further to this. I checked the specs for the Rakattach and the dimensions from centre of receiver to top of bolt are 5.84". That means the Kuat is lower by 0.65". Hopefully that will be enough.
It will be close. I estimate I removed .6" from my RakAttach to get it it clear. But I have seen reports from others that the Pivot2 works fine on the Promaster, maybe they will chime in here with some first hand experience.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For another point of reference, the Thule swing-away hitch (Access 9037) clears easily. My hitch is an aftermarket Curt hitch and the factory hitch may be a little bit higher, but the door clears the swing away attachment by more than the space between the hitch and the bumper so I can’t imagine the door would not also clear with the factory hitch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's the factory hitch that is so tightly tucked up to the bumper giving us some grief for sure. Normally this is exactly what we want, nice tight integration, until you have a clearance challenge. I started looking at that Curt hitch to replace my factory as one option to get more room. Then I climbed under there and wasn't too excited to remove the factory hitch and it's reinforcements. (updated with working picture)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did measure and the space between my hitch and the bumper is definitely less than the space between the swing away attachment and my door. I did not use a tape measure, but I did use a reliable/repeatable tool - I didn’t just eyeball it!

Here is the Thule Access (9037) with a Kuat rack. The Thule does not extend super far to the side (I know 1up has different sizes available) but it is far enough for the door to open to its first natural stop. And the inside bike happens to have the handlebars going in the right direction so those will clear. Pedals might hit.

Reactions: akarmy

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The issue is with the factory hitch, the curt sits lower. I'm satisfied based on my measurements and the specs for the Pivot2, that the door will clear it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
RD -as usual you've found a great affordable solution!!
A couple of questions: 1) what kind of hitch do you have? Is it factory installed or aftermarket? 2) What kind of folding bikes do you have and would you recommend them? (We are in the process of shopping for bikes for this year's trips.)

Hopefully we can all safely hit the road this year!
Cheers, Janet

I used a Capstone swing-away that just clears the doors BUT it was $100 Amazon Warehouse deal now $150 and has worked great well built used it for about 10,000 miles so far. Swings down too.
View attachment 61188

1 - 20 of 22 Posts