Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the van idling the other day while I was looking around the back and the trailer hitch. Felt an odd warm breeze across my face, surprised me for a moment that it was the exhaust! While I didn't stick my face right in it, I did take a good whiff, it certainly did NOT smell like diesel. I guess the SCR and DPF and stuff make a difference.

I also noticed that the inside of the exhaust pipe is totally clean. Wiped it with my finger, got nothing. Granted, I only have 500 miles on the van, but I've seen my Audi gasser soot up the exhaust pipe in under 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Great. If we are going to have the emissions controls then we deserve clean exhaust.... that the point isn't it? In the late 90's I read an article that claimed driving a cleaned up gas car in some of the more polluted cities would actually produce cleaner air out than went in! I wish I had kept the article but the results are clear (pun intended), when we go into almost any inner city it is remarkably better now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh yeah, my 2011 VW TDI has almost 40k miles and the inside the exhaust pipe is still clean. That is not the case with my 2004 Sprinter. I replaced the exhaust a couple of years ago and it was sooted up in less than 100 miles. Those DPF filters do a good job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts