Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I'm shocked here, and I know weather was a big factor, but overall Chrysler was up 8% for January, but the PM only moved 607 units. Way down from December....Interesting

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm guessing this is due to the fleets are waiting for the Transit to see how that shapes up, as well as the diesel version, since that has gotten a lot of press due to its perceived MPG numbers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I imagine this website has something to do with it also. Anyone who's researching the PM will be coming through here as it's THE source for real time info at this point.

And while the new owners seem to mostly pleased with their purchase, if a potential buyer reads all these threads then there are a few issues showing up:

1. The miraculous MPG we all hoped for isn't looking very realistic at this time.

2. The driver ergonomics won't work for the tall folks

3. You may be driven batsnap crazy by the squealing of the brakes.

And while none of these things should disqualify the PM from consideration by the market as a whole, it's probably enough to make part of that market wait 6 months and see how the Transit shapes up.

I don't underestimate the power of the web. I was well along the path of buying a Sprinter until SOME PEOPLE'S
( and we ain't naming names here :D)
posts on the Sprinter Forum convinced me otherwise.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It may also be due to the economy in general. Last year was good right through December. This year started out with a weaker January. Markets were down a bunch in January, as were business sentiments. Since the ProMaster is used more for business compared to automobiles, it doesn't surprise me that business owners and managers may delay a major investment until the economy settles down a bit.

And I also agree with others that waiting for diesel and or Transit may not be helping. The more time passes the shorter the wait. That plus issues mentioned above by DennisV. Although I would say all the negative comments about the transmission downshifting excessively may be doing more harm than the ones he mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Bad winter weather compared to last year have anything to do with it?

The Transit is somewhat like the Sprinter,rear wheel drive.
Promaster is quite a bit different than them.
I can understand that there are some bugs to work out.
Me I like the low overall height and front wheel drive with the same inside height.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bad winter weather compared to last year have anything to do with it?

The Transit is somewhat like the Sprinter,rear wheel drive.
Promaster is quite a bit different than them.
I can understand that there are some bugs to work out.
Me I like the low overall height and front wheel drive with the same inside height.
I have to say that so far, winter driving has been great! This is coming from having had a 4x4 before the PM. Granted I haven't attempted to traverse blizzards but I've been driving with a few inches of snow on the ground and have been quite pleased with the traction!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't underestimate the power of the web. I was well along the path of buying a Sprinter until SOME PEOPLE'S
( and we ain't naming names here :D)
posts on the Sprinter Forum convinced me otherwise.
Humm, no comment....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
It may also be that many people will never buy a new model anything the first year it comes out. At least that is what I have told people. So what did I do? I ordered a PM in its first year here in the U.S. I was all set to go with the Ford Transit, until I found out that they had reworked it into a rear wheel drive. To me that is opening the door for all kinds of new problems. Dodge on the other hand just took the Ducato, that Fiat has been making for years and changed the name, and maybe a few small changes, but nothing like completely redoing the drivetrain. If they did, then I wouldn't have ordered one. But somewhere after march 27th I'll start finding out if it was a good idea or not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It may also be that many people will never buy a new model anything the first year it comes out. At least that is what I have told people. So what did I do? I ordered a PM in its first year here in the U.S. I was all set to go with the Ford Transit, until I found out that they had reworked it into a rear wheel drive. To me that is opening the door for all kinds of new problems. Dodge on the other hand just took the Ducato, that Fiat has been making for years and changed the name, and maybe a few small changes, but nothing like completely redoing the drivetrain. If they did, then I wouldn't have ordered one. But somewhere after march 27th I'll start finding out if it was a good idea or not :rolleyes:
I don't follow. Isn't the ProMaster's gasoline V6 and transmission all new to our Ducato clone?

And while Ford is using the RWD version of the European Transit as a starting point for the complete redesign, both gasoline engines and transmissions have been used in the F150 pickup for years. Even the I-5 diesel has been around for years in overseas markets in the Ranger pickups. And the transmissions are in vehicles like the F150 with much higher GCWR than the PM's.

Although I like the PM better due to its FWD packaging, I feel the Transit's RWD drivetrain has the potential to be much stronger. I'd bet the Transit's maximum tow capacity and/or GCWR will reflect that capability.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the PM's drivetrain is new to the platform, but not new to the North American market. The 3.6 has been around since 2011 in other Chrysler vehicles, and the trans. is a reworked and upgraded version of their mini van trans.
The Transit is a different deal. It's platform is an all new redesigned vehicle with the previous used in F-150's drivetrain, save the diesel. Ford used the European Transit as a "model".

·
Registered
166 Posts
everyone and their mother is blaming the weather. I dont know if we can say for sure its pent up demand for the Transit, isn't it still a good 6-8 months out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cannot pull the trigger because of the mpg people are reporting.

Better operating cost will be the driving factor in my next van, as long as my current van is running I will wait.

no matter PM, transit, sprinter: the purchase price, maintenance and fuel cost per mile just needs to come out right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weather is definitely a factor. People just don't like to go out as much and do anything when the weather is sh*t. Same effect can be observed during elections with how many people vote.

Was anyone on our forum one of the buyers of the 607 PMs sold in January?

I also think a demerit for me is the partition between the front and back of the van. I hear its not great for heating.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Weather is definitely a factor. People just don't like to go out as much and do anything when the weather is sh*t. Same effect can be observed during elections with how many people vote.

Was anyone on our forum one of the buyers of the 607 PMs sold in January?

I also think a demerit for me is the partition between the front and back of the van. I hear its not great for heating.
weather is a convenient excuse. It can't be controlled therefore no one has to take responsibility for poor performance. Scapegoat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts