Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Travato (PM3500) into Echo Park, Dinosaur National Monument last weekend. There are some rather steep switchback dirt roads into the area, and there is a sign "Not advised for passenger vehicles", and the ranger said ALL RVs are prohibited, until she actually looked at the van. Should be interesting... :eek:

Coming back out, I was worried that the transmission would jump into low gear, spin the tire, then I'd get off the gas, and start over... repeating all the way up the hill. I was very surprised and relieved to find that the van seemed to recognize that the traction was poor, and it kept from jumping down low, even with the throttle floored. It was really quite steep, and even in sharp uphill corners, it simply motored up. No drama at all! :D

Once I hit the top, and back on pavement, it jumped all the way down again, like it normally does when you jump on it. All is well.

The ESC light was flashing at the bottom when accelerating on rocky stuff, but I don't remember seeing it on when pulling through the switchbacks, but then again, I may have been looking at the road.

Anyone know what the magic was? Tilt sensor?

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
I can't answer your question as to what the magic was.

But I also put my PM into some very rugged and steep situations and have been delighted with how it so nimbly climbs rugged mud roads in steep hills. Must be the front wheel drive. I have taken mine OUT of ESC and it seems to do best.

ETA: It performs to the equivalent of my AWD subaru and much, much better than the Toyota Tundra pickup truck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice to hear about some "real world" experience on challenging roads. Although I didn't buy my ProMaster thinking it would be a "offroad" wonder, it's nice to hear that with a little common sense it apparently can deal with Forrest Service type raoads.

Either of you guys have any pictures you'd care to share? Would be nice to see a PM in the wild.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Took my Travato (PM3500) into Echo Park, Dinosaur National Monument last weekend. There are some rather steep switchback dirt roads into the area, and there is a sign "Not advised for passenger vehicles", and the ranger said ALL RVs are prohibited, until she actually looked at the van.
Is your PM a low or high top?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts